cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL731GW Battery Drains to 0% while shut down

Stefan_Deotsche
Level 8
Hi,

Recently my GL731GW started to loose power again when it is shut down. Not all the time but maybe every 3rd time I put it away with 78% charged and next morning it is at 0%. I checked all the power settings, disabled fast start up or hybrid sleep or whatever the current name of those is. (I couldn't find suspended stand by. Anyone knows the current name of it and how to disable it).

Anyway - because it is happening inconsistently I guess it is a windows 10 problem or maybe a driver problem. But it would be weird if a driver could prevent a PC from properly shut down. My question is: Has anyone the same problem or does anyone know how to shut down windows 10 without pressing the power but for 15 seconds to kill it? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Stefan Deotschel,

Did it occur after any update or settings changed?
Did you check the power indicator is off after clicked shut down and then closed the lid while disabled fast start up?
Was the bios version 309 and windows update all up to date?
Thank you.

Sorry for the later reply, I think it started after a windows update. I think it happens when windows 10 is not shutting down because OneDrive is preventing it. If I click on shut down anyway it seems not to proper shut down. I'm not 100% sure though. I think I have the latest of everything. Not sure about the BIOS but I will check.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Is the smart charge port enabled? sounds like a parasitic drain.
Something else to try is disabling fast start up. It doesnt really start any faster with it on and it dumps the memory and kernel to hyberfil.sys, same as it does with hibernation.
Go to control panel>power options>Change what the power buttons do on the left pane>Change settings that are currently unavailable then untick turn on fast start up. When you shut down nothing is dumped to hiberfil.sys (saves space on your drive too!) and it loads from scratch every time instead of reloading problems.

To rule out onedrive you can right click on it and click close one drive before shutting down. it may be synching when you go to shut down but that shouldnt cause your battery to drain.

BigJohnny wrote:
Is the smart charge port enabled? sounds like a parasitic drain.
Something else to try is disabling fast start up. It doesnt really start any faster with it on and it dumps the memory and kernel to hyberfil.sys, same as it does with hibernation.
Go to control panel>power options>Change what the power buttons do on the left pane>Change settings that are currently unavailable then untick turn on fast start up. When you shut down nothing is dumped to hiberfil.sys (saves space on your drive too!) and it loads from scratch every time instead of reloading problems.

To rule out onedrive you can right click on it and click close one drive before shutting down. it may be synching when you go to shut down but that shouldnt cause your battery to drain.

Thanks for the answer. I didn't find any settings for smart charge port in the BIOS. I looked everywhere. - Anyway. I had no problem for 1 1/2 years and then out of the blue this problem happened. I did not change much or anything at all that might cause this.

So I am about 90% sure this is caused by OneDrive being shut down on when it is still syncing. When I decide to 'Shutdown Anyway' there is a good chance that the battery will be flat next day or actually in a matter of hours. I never had it when I close OneDrive before I shut down.

It is not the only OneDrive bug. When the battery gets low OneDrive stops syncing. Which is fine because for some weird reason the battery drains noticeable more with OneDrive syncing. Anyway - If I stop syncing or OneDrive itself stops syncing I still get the message that OneDrive is syncing and I can't shut down even if the battery is like 1%. It's silly in my opinion. The only way to shut down proper is to shut down OneDrive beforehand.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Stefan Deotschel,

Could you please uninstall OneDrive and then check if battery drains after shutdown?
Thank you.

It hasn't been an issue since I always shut down OneDrive before I shut down the laptop. It wouldn't proof anything if I uninstall OneDrive. I could instead try to not shut down OneDrive before I shut down the laptop. I try that right now and let you know.

To follow up on this. It hasn't happen again. So it either fixed itself or an updated fixed it.

I find the Windows 10 power options a bit of a mess. First everything is kind of hidden in multiple layers. Then shut down isn't shutdown. Instead it is really just sleep and sleep is really just monitor off. I wish shut down would be power off and sleep would be off but keep current state in memory. As simple as that.

No need for the PC to wake up at night and do maintenance or updates. There seems to be a million reasons why the PC needs to stay on all the time. It's silly in my opinion.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Stefan Deotschel,

Thank you for your update.
Have a nice day.

It has happened again. No idea why. Is there a way to see what uses the battery when it is shut down. The windows battery usage stats are not very useful. They only have 2 options: last 24 hours and last week.