cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even slower boot time with Intel Arc A770

gargamel314
Level 7
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Wifi Gaming D4 motherboard originally took 26 seconds to post before Windows would even start to load, that was with an NVIDIA RTX 2060 installed. I recently installed an Intel Arc A770. It still takes 26 seconds to post, but then the main display comes on and hangs with a blank screen for an additional 12 seconds before Windows begins to load. This sounds like a BIOS update would fix it, but are there any BIOS settings that would speed up boot time? These nearly 1 minute to desktop times are a bit much for 2023!
5 REPLIES 5

JohnAb
Level 17
I don't have the Arc A770 and extra delay, but otherwise, the boot times on my 690 are exactly the same and other people with 690 boards have reported similar. I've also looked into if this can be improved, but as far as I can tell, that's just the way it is. Maybe it is a BIOS thing, but no fix that I'm aware of. If you do find a way to speed things up, please share 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, gargamel314.

May I ask if you updated the BIOS before the long boot time? If so, did you update the Intel ME first?
According to your description of the recent changes, could you please try the following two methods to confirm whether the boot speed has become faster?
- Test with minimal components, isolating the possible cause.
- Set the network card to a fixed IP.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, gargamel314.

May I ask if you updated the BIOS before the long boot time? If so, did you update the Intel ME first?
According to your description of the recent changes, could you please try the following two methods to confirm whether the boot speed has become faster?
- Test with minimal components, isolating the possible cause.
- Set the network card to a fixed IP.

Thank you.

When I bought this motherboard, version BIOS version 2204 was the latest one. I flashed it from a USB because the CPU was 13th gen. I did not update the Intel ME until after I flashed that BIOS, but it was done.

I completed the two steps above. I unplugged everything unessential to boot the Motherboard, including the Arc A770. Network card was set to a static IP from both Windows and my router.

Without the A770, it takes 26 seconds from power on to get to Windows boot. During this time, at 17 secs the White VGA LED is lit for the final part of that time, and then goes out. (This behavior also was present before I installed the A770 - I was using an ASUS Strix RTX 2060)

After reinstalling the A770, all of the above happens, but then the keyboard lights up, and the screen lights up but with no text for at least 12 seconds (sometimes as long as 30). During this time the green BOOT light is lit, and then goes out around the time the American Megatrends text comes on the screen.

Once Windows loads, everything seems to work just fine and all QLEDs are out on the motherboard.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, gargamel314.

Could you please share the following information?
- the content of the setting in BIOS (or whether it is the default)
- the brand and model name of the CPU, DRAM, GPU, and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build
- full boot-time situational video

Thank you.

gargamel314
Level 7

@Jiaszzz_ROG Sorry for the delayed response - I made a video for you and then found that I got locked out of posting on the forums for the forum upgrade.

BIOS is mostly default except for the ASPM/APM settings, which I changed at Intel's recommendation (otherwise the A770 uses more power at idle), and I do have ReBar enabled (kind of a requirement for Intel Arc). 

Specs:

Intel i7-13700K
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x16GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 - have tried XMP On and Off with same results
Intel Arc A770 16GB (Limited Edition)
Corsair RM1000e 1000W 80+Gold Cert PSU

Video can be found at this link here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XN7GF1EtJ_86KZp-qjeAWeoz7XYMueo4/view?usp=share_link