cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL-AX82U-AX5400 NAT Issue

TrebleTA
Level 8
So awhile back I asked about the Nat on my DSL-AX82U. Well as far as I know, since the lastest firmware I did not change any settings, yet when I used the sites I used before, on the lastest firmware, I seem to be on a Full cone Nat, not a Symmetric Nat like it use to be?
This is one of the sites I tested on
https://tomchen.github.io/symmetric-nat-test/

I went in to SSH and accessed the device and run, Nvram get nat_type, and it returned 0, so not sure why it's not symmetric anymore?
11 REPLIES 11

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi TrebleTA,
Is your firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49608?
Did it change to fullcone NAT after tried the command we provided in pm? Do you want it back to Symmetric Nat?
May I have a screenshot of NAT type?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi TrebleTA,
Is your firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49608?
Did it change to fullcone NAT after tried the command we provided in pm? Do you want it back to Symmetric Nat?
May I have a screenshot of NAT type?
Thank you.

Yes it's firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49608-gad8517a. Also I hard reset the router to factory defaults via holding the WPS and powering on.

I have not messed with nat types. After our PM, the last I had it on was symmetric Nat. When I checked at the time of the PM I found symmetric was better, for a little I was swapping types, but was a pain to do so.

I have tried swaping the nat types in the above firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49608-gad8517a and both report normal nat.
Yet know your about to release a firmware update soon. So maybe fixed in that.

Not sure on what screen shots you are requesting. Screen shots of the SSH of the nat type setting, or pictures of the webs sites I used?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi TrebleTA,
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry my inquiry was not clear. May I have screenshots of NAT type setting in WebUI, the SSH of the nat type setting and pictures of the websites you use for test and it shows Fullcone Nat?
May I double confirm you haven't executed fullcone NAT command we provided?
Thank you.

TrebleTA
Level 8
hi sorry for the delay, real life keeping me busy.

All relevant info requested should be in the above picture.

I have also notice a Buffer bloat issue, no matter what QOS I use, I get issues with gaming and if I am upload or downloading at the same time. I use this site to test.https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
Yet ASUS was meant to not have this issue

This router is starting to be a bit of a let down for £200 gib

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi TrebleTA,
Thank you for your information.
May I double confirm you haven't executed fullcone NAT command we provided or you have executed the command but want to use symmetric NAT now?
For the Buffer bloat issue, may I also have screenshots of QOS setting in WebUI and the test result in the site you provided?
Thank you.

Murph_9000
Level 14
For what it's worth, that testing site reports "Normal NAT" (i.e. full-cone or non-symmetric) for my GT-AX6000 (version 3.0.0.4.386_49556). It's configured as symmetric, and I don't believe I've ever tried setting it to fullcone. I have a single IPv4 address and a /48 IPv6 block (with the ISP giving a /64 prefix within that for auto-config purposes).

I wonder if the testing site is giving accurate results? I can't find any other sites out there to properly verify the reported result.

TrebleTA
Level 8
I use two sites to check nat type, maybe there both bugged.
https://tomchen.github.io/symmetric-nat-test/
And
https://clients.dh2i.com/NatTest/?_gl=1*1vyum8f*_ga*ODg5ODc2ODg4LjE2NjY2Mjk5NDA.*_ga_NMPJ9TM9DD*MTY2.....
I never use to get normal nat.

I did on a older firmware changed the nat type, and changed it back on and off at times all fine. But since I've had newer firmware +, I always hard reset the device, holding the WPS etc, or soft reset via web gui with Initialize ticked, after a firmware update, and redo all setting manual and since then have not changed any nat settings.

P.s will get back to you with the bloat test once I'm at my pc

Murph_9000
Level 14
Tried the DH2I test, and it's saying "Permissive NAT" (i.e. not symmetric) for my GT-AX6000. Yeah, some analysis would be needed to see if they are the same (and possibly repeating a bug) or truly independent.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi TrebleTA,
After checked with our tech team, the default NAT type for DSL-AX82U is symmetric.
As you mentioned, Nvram get nat_type, and it returned 0 which also means symmetric.
However, we are not sure how the websites you provided detect NAT type.
Thank you.