cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two high-end graphic cards drivers fail on reboot after install win7 pro x64 max extr

timcoddington
Level 7
My attempt to buy and setup a gaming desktop for my son has failed miserably and I'm beginning to think its related to my ROG Maximus V extreme motherboard. Here's my system configuration (all new):
Corsair CX750
Asus Maximus V Extreme LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2133
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

First I bought and installed Gigabyte GTX 770 2G Windforce 3X and after the problems I describe below, I then bought and installed a Sapphire Vapor-X (Radeon HD 7970 GHz).

After installing the first card, I installed drivers per instructions, but upon reboot and just after the windows logo disappeared and ready to go to login choices nothing would display--black screen. I had to do a windows restore. I read forums, asked for help, etc but no answers other than a few people seeking help with Gigabyte driver issues on win7 x64 and no answers. After too much wasted time and no answers I decided to return the GTX 770 and buy another high-end card.

I bought the Sapphire, got it, and installed it. During the process, there were a failure related to drag and drop noted in the log but it was unclear what to do next. I decided to reboot and I got the same situation as before--black screen and I had to restore windows.

Before I spend hours on Sapphire's tech support and trying this and that I want ask for constructive comments regarding: Is there something about the configuration, installation, or setup of my Maximus V Extreme motherboard that might contribute to this?

Please help.
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
The first thing I'd do is remove the CPU and inspect the CPU socket carefully for any bent or broken pins. Afterwards, I'd download and run Memtest86+ on the RAM to make sure that defective RAM isn't apart of this equation.

If both of the previous results come out negative, then I'd proceed to updating the motherboard's BIOS to the latest version using an USB pendrive and the EZ Flash Utility within the BIOS. Then do a clear CMOS. And upon the first boot, enter the BIOS to load the optimized defaults. Save and exit.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend

What you are experiencing is very unusual. Could I enquire if your OS install is also brand new for this motherboard, or have you perhaps migrated the hard drive over from an older system?

The bottom line is your card should just work regardless.

I have used that combination in builds easily 100+ times during the last year or so. Therefore I feel very comfortable with the build and OS and system set up. I hope we can work through this and find a resolution.

Please bare in mind the PCIe (VGA) controller is on the CPU these days.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks you HiVizMan,

The advise you gave was to check and upgrade the motherboard's BIOS. We first followed another thread from another forum related to the card which had us do a thorough removal of all things related to default and recent VGA drivers, etc.
But that didn't resolve the issue.

We did the memory test but no problems. We tried to use the thumb drive plus push the button approach but that had no results. Finally and as you suggested, I found and ran the flash utility in the BIOS setup that read the thumb drive and started the upgrade.

Thank you.