cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble overclocking

cheeftain
Level 7
I'm new to overclocking so some help would be much appreciated. I'm using a TUF Z590 Plus motherboard and i9-11900KF I watched this video to learn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTb-KmUa6rI&t=1811s
In the video his Core Speed in CPUZ stays at whatever he sets it too in the bios even while idle. When I do the same mine drops down to 3500mhz unless there is a load, then it increases to the overclock speeds I've set. When I tried to disable Intel Speed Shift it won't even budge past 3500 mhz even under load. I'm mainly using the computer for music production so I don't want the core speed fluctuating.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi cheeftain,

Welcome to the ROG forum !

When overclocking the cpu, you need more voltage which generates more heat. Your cooling and cpu temps will determine how far you can overclock.

I'm on an older z270 motherboard and unles it's changed, you should be able to get the cpu to run at a constant speed by setting the windows power plan to high performance.

Here's a video to show how clock speeds hold steady at the maximum boost clock of 4.5GHz (4500MHz). You'll have to unhide the windows high performance power plan.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi cheeftain,

Welcome to the ROG forum !

When overclocking the cpu, you need more voltage which generates more heat. Your cooling and cpu temps will determine how far you can overclock.

I'm on an older z270 motherboard and unles it's changed, you should be able to get the cpu to run at a constant speed by setting the windows power plan to high performance.

Here's a video to show how clock speeds hold steady at the maximum boost clock of 4.5GHz (4500MHz). You'll have to unhide the windows high performance power plan.

Throttle Stop fixed the issue! Thanks

cheeftain
Level 7
NVM, figured out how to fix the problem using throttle stop. 😄

Nate152
Awesome,

Since your title mentions overclocking, I was wondering about your cooler and how temps are.

I used to use CPU-Z and real temp until I found Hwinfo. It monitors pretty much every thing in your pc, even the life left of your drives. It's what I used above and it's free.

It makes it a little easier as it's one program to monitor everything. Clock speeds, voltages, temps and more.

I'm using a 360mm Pureloop AIO from Be Quiet. Stress tested with AIDA64 for about an hour. CPU overclocked to 5ghz with 1.325 core voltage. My temp average was 80°C with 2 cores sitting around 82°C. The other cores temps ranged from 73° to 79°. Thats probably as much as I can push it because I'm also using a Be Quiet case which has a bunch of sound dampening pads that reduce air flow by quite a bit.

Nate152
That's not bad at all for an AIDA64 stress test, anything you do won't hit your cpu that hard, which in turn means cooler temps.

Looking good cheeftain !