cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck at 800mhz ... Is this normal?

stanglx
Level 7
Asus ROG Hero w/4770k CPU 16gb of ram.

Everything was fine until I overclocked using the ai suite iii to 4.2ghz..the only issue I see is that everywhere in the OS it's stating that the clock is 800mhz... If I launch CPU z it says 4.2ghz. Everywhere else even in the bios it says 800 MHz...

I though that loading up prime95 that it would go up but it doesn't... Again CPU z shows the correct ghz and so does ai suite..it also shows 4.2 ghz.

If I reset the bios to defaults everything goes back to normal..

Is this normal to see 800mhz after using the ai suite??
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hi stanglx, I see ai suite causing problems like this to a lot of people, Try uninstalling it in add/remove programs then run this cleaner. Restart your pc and check the cpu target speed in your bios.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner

kkn
Level 14
the best way to OC is to do it inside BIOS.
aisuite can be a buggy program at a time.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
800 MHz is the idle speed, in Windows your power plan i'm willing to bet is set at balanced and will only clock higher to 4.2 under load. This is normal as is Windows reporting 800MHz...just ignore it from Windows and only verify with CPU-Z when your CPU is under load.

The power plan was the first thing I checked..it's set to high performance...

CPUz shows 4.2 ghz...

I went into the bios and the min max CPU shows 800mhz for both where you can see the profile of the CPU. It looks like it down clocks the CPU but uses boost to get it to the 4.2 ghz... I also compared the parameters it changes from default and there were only a couple of bios parameters it changed...which should not affect the min and for sure should not set the max CPU to 800 MHz...I'm suspecting that the ai suite is not just change the bios but does something outside the bios...

I love fan expert...how can I just reset the hing to defaults...I see it's not just bios but some other hardware management function..

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
800 MHz is the idle speed, in Windows your power plan i'm willing to bet is set at balanced and will only clock higher to 4.2 under load. This is normal as is Windows reporting 800MHz...just ignore it from Windows and only verify with CPU-Z when your CPU is under load.

Chino
Level 15
Take screenshots of your entire Extreme Tweaker tab for me. Use an USB pendrive to save them on then upload them here.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You need to disable Intel Speedstep and Turbo Boost. This will make your OC 24/7. You'd have to set Voltages to Auto, or offset to allow the CPU to throttle down when in idle.

stanglx
Level 7
Here are the screen shots..

Nate152

stanglx
Level 7
Yes... that improved after redoing it one more time... even though everything else still shows the same... Keep in mind CPUz ALWAYS showed 4.2Ghz... Only the Windows Apps now show 800 Mhz AND the bios currently shows 800Mhz as seen as CPU in screen shot 1.

Now the question is, how can I tell it to stay at 4.2Ghz? OR at a minimum at 3.5Ghz.. t