cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow SSD Boot times with Win7

djbeto2209
Level 7
Yesterday I updated the BIOS on my Maximus VI Extreme and now my boot times are crap. It takes me about 5-7 min to boot, where before it was less then a min. Could this be the bios? I tired an older version of the bios and I still have the same issue. I have had this drive for a couple of months and this is my first issue. I have a Samsung 840 EVO 750gb. I have my trim on and the bios is set to AHCI, is there something else I am missing. I have plenty of space, 200gb to be exact, on the SSD so space should not be an issue. Thanks for the help in advance!
Cooler Master Cosmos II / Asus Maximus VI Extreme / i7 - 4770k 4.7 / Corsair H110 / Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866MHz / Samsung 840 EVO 750gb / 1TB Western Digital / EVGA GTX 660TI / 2 x ASUS VN279QL 27"
10 REPLIES 10

Tokens210
Level 10
For the fastest SSD boot times you want to ensure its got windows uefi installation

And don't install Asus software

I have 2 120gb evo's in raid0, did uefi install and boot times were crazy fast, probly like 10 seconds boot and desktop loaded, as soon as I let the Asus disc install the software its now like a 3 minutes boot time with an additional minute for the desktop to load

If your unsure on how to do uefi install JJ from Asus has a video on his PCDIY YouTube channel

Other then that I don't think bios update would slow anything unless it reset some of your settings

Also I see you say u got plenty of space which is good as filling ssds causes them to become much slower then normal
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

I agree, the BIOS would not cause a slow boot time. My Maximus V Extreme boots Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in about half a minute maybe less. Something else is going on. Check your Windows Logs under system and applications. It will show you what is is loading and how long it is taking.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

djbeto2209
Level 7
Thanks Tokens210 for the info. I watched the video and my SSD does not say UEFI, only my external HHD say that and that might be causing my issue. But how do I make my SSD UEFI? Do I need to re install windows and set it up there or can I do it while windows is already installed?
Cooler Master Cosmos II / Asus Maximus VI Extreme / i7 - 4770k 4.7 / Corsair H110 / Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866MHz / Samsung 840 EVO 750gb / 1TB Western Digital / EVGA GTX 660TI / 2 x ASUS VN279QL 27"

Tokens210
Level 10
Windows must be installed using uefi method, i actually have no clue why your external dive appear as uefi lol, if you already have used the HDD as storage then I'd say disconnect it so it doesn't appear and confuse you

When you go into bios to select boot from disc or flash drive or whatever there will be 2 of them listed the regular one and one listed as well as a uefi you must make sure it boots from the uefi one as the videos show, after windows is installed and all just shut down re plug in the storage HDD and boot it back up if its an actual external drive you probly don't need to reboot, if its an internal hard drive you'll need to do as I said above

If ur not aware the ssd will be wiped when reinstalling so move anything not OS related that's important to the storage drive to keep it safe

So it should be something like this

1. Move anything important from SSD to the storage drive for safe keeping
2. Shut down PC and disconnect the storage drive, if its external just remove as you normally would only have to shutdown if its internal HDD
3. Boot to bios and select to boot from uefi version of windows install, having just SSD attached makes it easier sometimes which is why I suggested it
4. Windows install under uefi will be the same
5. Reattach the storage drive
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clearly your previous settings in BIOS which allowed you the quicker boot to OS time were removed during the BIOS flash - this as as it should be. Once you had completed the flash did you re-set your BIOS values?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

djbeto2209
Level 7
@Tokens210 I wonder if it was because I installed Win7 from a USB drive? Could that be why it this my USB drive was my main drive? I only did this because I didn't have a DVD-ROM at the time.

@HiVizMan what exactly do you mean by re-set your BIOS values? I did update the bios and then try an older bios to see if that was the issue.

djbeto2209
Level 7
I just noticed also that I now cannot access my second HDD, its listed but it wont let me access it. I just see a loading circle and that is it.

Tokens210
Level 10
He was saying what I mentioned earlier, updating bios may have reset some of the values for faster boots

Meaning reinstall may not be needed if all that was changed was a bios setting

HiVizMan
Level 40
OP you say your second HDD is not picked up. If that is the case then it is very possible the you get the b2 code when posting and that tells me your system is trying to pick up all the hard drives. Just check your cables and power connectors to the hard drives and motherboard.

Here is what I would do.

Remove all SATA devices and fit the SSD to the 6G Intel port. Clear Cmos and power up, go to bios and set your OC if any.

F10 and save and boot to OS. Now your system only has one drive to find and your boot should be very quick. Please report back if that is the case.

Once in OS power down and fit the other hard drives. See if the boot times are better.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.