cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple overclocking question

Sayjimwoo
Level 7
Hello

I am using the Asus X Deluxe and the i7 4770k. I have a stable 4.5 overclock that passes all stress tests and runs cool. All the tests were done using a manual voltage as I have read that you shouldn't stress test on an adaptive voltage.

I then jumped to an adaptive voltage (for real world usage) and it has run for weeks without any issues i.e. games etc.

Recently I started ripping some blue rays which is using 100% of my cpu for the full 2hr it takes to rip the disc.
This has caused the occasional BSOD due to my overclock.
Now because I am using an adaptive voltage is this crash normal? As the ripping is like an equivalent to a stress test and you shouldn't stress test using an adaptive voltage.
Is this normal and should I be jumping to a manual voltage to rip my discs then reverting back to an adaptive voltage?
Or should ripping software be okay whilst using adaptive?

Thanks.
W10 Pro - Phantek ATX Glass - Asus Maximus IX Formula - Zonar Phoebus - Intel i7 7700k - Corsair H115i - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1080ti Sea Hawk X - 3x Samsung 850 evo 1tb - 2x WD Black 2tb - Pioneer Blu-Ray - Corsair RM850 - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Ultimate Stealth 2016 - BenQ XL2720Z 27 144hz Gaming Monitor - Oculus Rift
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
The short answer is that your OC is not stable.

Stress tests just show that your system passed that stress test they do not show your system is stable. I have seen folks with 12 hours or prime blend fall over when opening a flash youtube vid...

Increase your adaptive voltage and your BSOD should be gone.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the advice HiViz. Initially my manual voltage was stable at 1.297v and I used the same voltage on the adaptive.
As per your instruction I upped the adaptive voltage to 1.298v and a 2hr blue ray rip went perfect.

There is some poor advice out there. I read that if you use an adaptive voltage then you should set it lower than your stable manual voltage, then the additional voltage increase that adaptive gives will bring it in line with your manual voltage. I guess this advice is incorrect.
W10 Pro - Phantek ATX Glass - Asus Maximus IX Formula - Zonar Phoebus - Intel i7 7700k - Corsair H115i - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - 1080ti Sea Hawk X - 3x Samsung 850 evo 1tb - 2x WD Black 2tb - Pioneer Blu-Ray - Corsair RM850 - Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Ultimate Stealth 2016 - BenQ XL2720Z 27 144hz Gaming Monitor - Oculus Rift

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, it's sort of correct for the special case of running AVX instruction software. If all you wanted to do was run Prime 95 you could follow that logic....the internet is full of s**t a lot of the time 😉

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, it's sort of correct for the special case of running AVX instruction software. If all you wanted to do was run Prime 95 you could follow that logic....the internet is full of s**t a lot of the time 😉

This cracked me up Arne, funny thing is so many folks still think that passing prime means a system is stable. It is not it just means the system passed prime. Heck prime is a great tool and one I use but the only thing that determines if your system is stable is if it does all the things you need it to do and does not fail, freeze or BSOD.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.