cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Vulcan PRO Gaming Headset Unboxed!

X-ROG
Level 15
Front page: http://rog.asus.com/154722012/sound-cards-and-headsets/rog-vulcan-pro-gaming-headset-unboxed/

Written by Suds

Alrighty, let’s move on with the quick unboxing, shall we?

The box has a very nice look to it, with strong ROG colors and a very faithful render of the product and its accompanying ROG Spitfire DAC. On the back we get some info on the main features:

Once open, the fun really begins, and you can feel the quality oozing off the entire package. They really did go all out on the Vulcan PRO, I have to say.

Just like its Vulcan ANC ancestor, Vulcan PRO ships with a rugged touring case that can see it arriving safely wherever your travels take you. No more throwing that headset in a backpack and hoping for the best. The touring case uses nice materials that feel great, and while it may not be bullet-proof it certainly is tough. Here’s looking at it from two angles:

The touring case unzips open, unveiling all the goodness within:

Let’s clear some of the mess first…and when I say mess I’m really overstating it. Vulcan PRO uses an all-detachable design. The audio cable unplugs, and has that auto-disconnect if you pull on it accidentally so that it doesn’t drag your desktop or notebook to the floor with it. It’s also braided – which means that even if you’re one of those people who insist on scrunching up their headphone wires, it won’t tangle, crimp, or otherwise get bent out of shape. This is one tough cable, let me tell you. Of course, mic and volume controls are on there.

ROG gives us a neat rubber cable organizer:

And now to the headset proper. First thing to note: the foldable design, fits beautifully in the touring case, and saves space in any situation.

A quick and smooth snap-to, and Vulcan PRO is fully deployed:

Speaking of comfort, the headband is highly pliable so it doesn’t leave those imprints on your dome, and the ear cups employ soft cushions with Japan-made protein leather and memory foam. All fancy terms, but they basically boil down to this thing being freakishly comfortable to wear. You won’t feel it even on one of those game till dawn binges, which may or may not be a good thing…

We now turn to the ROG Spitfire add-on. Like I said before, this is a USB-based external and very portable digital audio processor. It improves on the performance of plain vanilla onboard audio, and doesn’t need any setup at all. It also comes with three modes: FPS mode for better sound positioning in shooters, so those sneaky opponents will have a harder time getting the drop on you, 7.1 virtual surround in case you want to simulate immersive audio, and amp mode. That last one instantly adds oomph to your headphones whenever needed. ROG Spitfire would stand quite nicely as a product on its own, and to think ROG bundles it with Vulcan PRO is quite impressive.

This is what ROG Spitfire looks like overall, with the USB cable and all:

Even the microphone is detachable, and has a flexible build that feels solid at the same time. It’s definitely one of the better booms I’ve ever encountered on any gaming headset, and keeps the ROG color scheme in place.

Plugging it into Vulcan PRO is simple:

Inside the ear cups are capable 40mm neodymium drivers, and the powered one has these connectors on the bottom, as well as the ANC on/off switch. Remember, you need an extra battery for active noise cancellation to work.

Another neat touch we should mention are the ROG-themed ear cup side plates, which are now made of durable metal, unlike the Vulcan ANC’s plastic finish. Like I said earlier, they really did think of everything here.

To illustrate the go-anywhere approach of Vulcan PRO, it comes with a nice airplane adapter. And with its superior insulation, you won’t disturb your fellow travelers even if you’re on your G75 playing at full volume.

"Coffee, tea, headphones?" "Huh, no to that last one"
2 REPLIES 2

Ceadderman
Level 9
Can you tell us what MSRP is? I may have missed it but hopefully if there is an NDA on it you can give us a ballpark guesstimate on it.

~Ceadder
I fold for Team OCN but I support Team ROG you guys ROCK!

X-ROG
Level 15
Newegg is $120, Fry's is $130.