cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset bios to get the most out of RAM speed, Cas Latency, and secondary timings

HighBuildGuy
Level 7
How do I configure the bios to to achieve ddr4 RAM at its rated speed, without bricking my system? I am running a AMD 5900 CPU on a ASUS Rog Strix x570-e motherboard. I've installed Q.Skill Trident Z GOLD 3600 mHZ DDR4 (16GB x2) with CL(16-19-19-36). On install it runs at the JEDEC default 2133 mHz. I attempted to modify to rated 3600 mHz in BIOS using D.O.C.P. with desastrous results. For my efforts I got a black screen, that defied all attempts to reenter the BIOS, until I reset the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery resetting to factory. I'm leery of doing that again. Still I believe that I should be able to get the most out of the very expensive RAM that I bought.

So where do I go from here? Do I set it manually, speed, voltage, Cas Latency, and secondary timings? How can I be assured that th his won't cause another screwup? Is it all trial and error? Is there no systematic well defined methodology for setting the board to evoke the rated speed and latency and still remain stable? When I set the Speed alone, Cas latency and secondary timings go ballistic. I should have a figure of merit (i.e. Latency/speed*2000), of about 12, but I get no where near this. Why is information on this so difficult to find? Are there documents provided by ASUS? I also wonder shouldn't ASUS motherboard's timing circuits (Firmware?) be upgraded to be better able to accommodate this automatically?

I'd appreciate any informed and useful direction on this problem.
0 REPLIES 0