cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage iv black edition ac4

CTVredvirus
Level 7
Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I'm trying to understand what the difference is between RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION and RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION AC4 is?

After registering my motherboard I found out I had the AC4 version, what does that differ from the standard one?

Also there are two different bios versions for those! and I use the latest Bios for the normal one not the AC4 that I have and it works perfect, any thoughts?

If I use the Extreme OC profile, it wants to OC my ram to over 2000Mhz but my ram is only 1600, can I just underklock the Ram ?

TY
MB
6 REPLIES 6

Melting_Point
Level 10
Just guessing here, but surely the only difference between those 2 boards is that the AC4 board comes with AC4.

According to the Asus site (link below), there are 3 BIOS versions for that board, but none of them are specific to the AC4 board.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/HelpDesk_Download/

Yes, you can use the OC profiles as a template/starting point, and then make any changes from there. But with RAM, you should start with an XMP profile if your RAM supports it. If it doesn't, then yes, change the speed to 1600.

BE WARNED, you'll most likely need very good cooling to run the extreme profile.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, no difference... same thing...

I would stay away from the profiles....they often set more voltage than you need and if you don't have the cooling, as Melting Point has said, you might get throttling from VRM or CPU...

CTVredvirus
Level 7
AC4 ? I use the latest bios that are not specific.
Isnt there in Bios that you get the maximum temps on everything?
The readings I gave you where from the Display , and Lavalys everest AIDA 64
I have a Noctua with dual 140.. fans
OC gaming, CPU temp 31C-41C max, CPU is max safe temp 63C, I set that As a threshold in bios
Motherboard is 32C.
GPU is 37
Chassi CM storm Striker
PSU: OCZ ZX 1250W Modular Gold
CPU: i7 3820 (3.6ghz) @ 4,7ghz only turbo core
RAM:16GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600Mhz
GPU: Nvidia 770 GTX 4GB

bax644
Level 7
Man, I signed up to ask whether or not I was wasting my time with comboing the Black Edition with the 3820. Sorry to slightly derail, but how are you liking the 3820 with this motherboard? How is your heat with OCing that high?

X-ROG
Level 15
AC4 = Assassin's Creed 4. It's just a limited edition game bundle 🙂 Same board, same features.

The 3820 is a basic LGA2011 chip, yet if it's all you require then go for it. The advantage the R4BE brings is the maximum amount of ROG features and maximum OC potential of LGA2011. Your chip is not unlocked but you can still have fun with it with memory OCing and divider OCing.

bax644
Level 7
Thanks, Marshall. I intend to upgrade the chip in the future, but with a current budget that was what I had to slim down. I'll go for the beefier unlocked chips as funds are also unlocked.