cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Cooling; CFM, Static Pressure and Watt Calculator.

HisEvilness
Level 7
While working on a new article for PC cooling i made a little excel sheet to calculate CFM/static pressure and watts use by your fans.
And combining that with your hardware fans etc etc, since the delayed arrival of my new case i wanted to share here before finishing my article.

As always feedback or pointing out errors is welcome, the file is view only simply download it to use it.
Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JHv0VhcKTYhOpGIxFPXMCB9wN3FNGiasGEJHtlh7zIo/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers, :cool:
14 REPLIES 14

HisEvilness
Level 7
A small error on my part did not take into account cases with side fans there for I added 3 side fans as intake for the side facing you.
And then 3 exhaust fans behind the motherboard/ driver cages.

Zka17
Level 16
Cool - I have to try it at some point!*

HisEvilness
Level 7
@Zka17You welcome,

Updated it with some more stats, DB and taking into account chassis/ hdd cage fans as hardware fans since they will effect airflow inside your case.

Korth
Level 14
Other chassis obstructions and even fan grilles/covers/filters technically "resist" airflows. As do rads, although of course that's part of their cooling function.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

HisEvilness
Level 7
@ Korth very true why mmh20 is so important on intake, would there anyway way i could implement a generic calculation?
Could not find a base find a number while doing research that would allow me to calculate some resistance since every case is different.

HisEvilness wrote:
@ Korth very true why mmh20 is so important on intake, would there anyway way i could implement a generic calculation?
Could not find a base find a number while doing research that would allow me to calculate some resistance since every case is different.

I don't know how you could do that. Restriction varies a lot between rads and I'm not even sure that FPI (fins per inch) data is available for all rads.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Korth
Level 14
Comprehensive data about chassis geometries is also unavailable. Further complicated by reconfigurable fan/rad mounts, reconfigurable drive bays/cages, dimensional variance of GPU (and other) cards, even the system-wide impact (around the heart of the mobo, at least) from heat-generating GPUs with reference or nonreference coolers which spill and recirculate heat over their edges.

So I doubt you'd be able to fill in all the numbers, too many functions with too many parameters. But you might be able to simplify with a user-selected modifier for "awful, poor, average, good, excellent" cooling configurations, along with a guideline about which value applies in certain types of hardware builds/arrangments.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Zka17
Level 16
What if the fans are setup according to a curve? Now you can do that in BIOS or with the Aqauaero setups...
The old smoke testing is giving you an idea about how the airflow is. Using that together with these kind of tables maybe something...

HisEvilness
Level 7
@ xeromist
Yes excel sheets do have limits i made this since i was working on my new case and it would simplify my work, in no means a perfect solution it does offer good indications on your setup something you can work forward from and if needed can do more tests with for instance a smoke machine.

@ Korth Correct adding to much numbers would over do it on this sheet, but the select able config might be an idea if i can get some numbers.
Would require me to do some more research and dig deeper on some numbers, some fan manufactures provide more data then others.

@ Zka17 never done a water cooling so i can not really test out anything on my own, ofc i will make a sheet when i will build a full water cooled rig.

Posted my article combined with the sheet here: https://www.hisevilness.com/articles/tech-oc-ing-seo-and-more/case-airflow-best-cooling-practises.ht...
Ordered some different fans i will do a case study for Part II and got a friend who will do a case study on his rig for Part III.