cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking settings are not remembered on restart.

JohnTravolski
Level 7
I have an old Asus ROG G752VY (i7 6820HK, from 2015) laptop and at one point a long time ago I used the Asus ROG Gaming Center software to overclock it. It was set to "Extreme" in the "Turbo Gear" section. I left it on this setting for years and recently I wanted to change it back to the "Standard" setting to reduce power draw. When I change it, the CPU does start to use less power and it clocks down, as expected. However, after I restart the computer, the settings don't appear to be saved. It shows up as being back on the "Extreme" setting every time after I restart.

Considering the software is changing the clocks for the remainder of the time the laptop is on after I change it but the setting simply gets reset back to extreme up on a restart, I assume that the setting simply isn't getting saved somehow.

I don't know where this type of configuration is stored. I assume it is somewhere in the BIOS, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Why isn't the setting being saved? Could it be the the BIOS motherboard battery (CMOS, I believe it is called) is dead? For reference, I also can't save any other configuration changes I make in the BIOS. For example, I tried to change my default boot drive (there are two SSDs in there), and the configuration change in the BIOS would not save.
6 REPLIES 6

JohnTravolski
Level 7
Nobody has any ideas?

Help

Being an old laptop I'd definitely point my finger at the bios battery.

Sadly, I replaced the bios battery with a new one and still have exactly the same problem.

Solution / Workaround #1

• My workaround for this is to press the Clear CMOS button near top of back I/O Shield where the rear USB ports are located, but closest to the WiFi Antenna connection terminals that look like brass nuts.. Allow the pc to restart etc.
  • After the BIOS Flashback process completes, you will need to configure your system in BIOS in preparation for Windows OS Installation.
  • Visit your motherboard Manufactures Website Support Area to download the latest Drivers.
  • Repeat driver Downloads for additional hardware installed for your PC. Visit device manager if unsure what hardware is installed on your machine.
  • Configure UEFI BIOS as required for your specific requirements.
  • Your error should by now be resolved. If not, proceed to next section

Solution / Workaround #2

The problematic area, in my opinion, may be linked to the Asus Profile Tool which allows you to save and load UEFI BIOS configuration settings.

1. Configure your CPU, Peripherals / Hardware, Memory, Storage requirements and Overclocking Tweaks in UEFI BIOS if not done so already. Save and Exit without yet saving any config profiles to BIOS memory. We will do this later.
  2. Install Windows if not done so already.
  3. Install Critical CPU and GPU Specific Cooling / Automation Tool/Software. **Please bare in mind it is crucial Components such as RAM, CPU, PSU, GPU, Storage Drives and other internal hardware are Installed to perfection with no loose connections, or improperly seated PCIe cards or Ancillary additions. This may seem obvious however on a big build like mine as it gets tougher routing cabling as available space to do so declines, your hands and fingers may start to bump connections or even pull at them as you wire it up like an eager maniac.
  4. Biggest most important point ------- Plan / Rework or Optimise your Sata power cables connections so that they are minimalistic or balanced in the way you choose what hardware gets daisy chained on each sata power cable so you don't have any power draw faults or overloads or wasted grunt upon the PSU or system parts. To do this effectively requires some research. I was surprised to identify many issues were easily nullified by ensuring my Corsair Commander Pro's which control my fans and lighting were all on independent Sata Power cable runs back to the PSU, as it is not mentioned in Corsair Installation documentation anywhere at the time of install that they are considerably power demanding which came as a shock and don't like their power draw shared amongst multiple Corsair Commander Pro units despite the manual directing you can daisy chain their power from a single sata power cable with 4 connection points that came with my Corsair Titanium series 1600W PSU. Try to keep high speed drives separate where possible. For example my Corsair 1000D houses 4 Raid Configurations in Total, so I eliminated lighting glitches by rewiring the sata power cables to isolate each commander pro from each other and limiting high speed storage to one RAID 0 array of 2 high speed SSD drives per sata power cable. I have forgotten whether high draw devices should be closest to or furthest away from PSU, but found the hint in regards to daisy chaining RGB lighting with the front panel being lit last along the line becuase of something i barely recall but can only communicate here as last item doesnt affect power draw of others, or something to that effect... so perhaps hungry items closest to PSU and LED or RGB only items last? Look into it, as rewiring my sata power cables to be as balanced as possible despite distance constraints proving challenging as well as distance from PSU being a factor in the way i did it, completely eliminated the weird glitches driving me crazy like intermittent, color flashes in one specific led of random fan and Hydro X loop which drove me crazy for 2 years as redoing the whole thing over only reloacted the same issue to a random fan or two elsewhere. I also had one fan that seemed to display a yellowish hue instead of the titanium profile whitish silver the rest of the fans correctly conveyed. Murphy's Law ensures its never a fan tucked up high out of sight or behind others in the most aesthetically obscure place possible. Its always a fan or node that is front and center the most critical most visible part in the whole build. If you're anything like me and a little OCD or obsessive with your builds perfection as a I am, then RGB beauty sadly spoilt with a once every ten second micro flash of red in a light that is not configured to ever show red, is intolerable. So this means my sata power cables share heavy draw with lighter draw items as a mix to best balance the power demands of each rail and port and my Commander Pros are on independent sata cables from each other to ensure flawless glitch free lighting and reliable cooling system best practices ensuring my most valuable an expensive system parts are adequately cooled and protected from overheating or overloading via segregation and optimised power wiring balancing power demands as intricately as humanly possible. Always stick to the manual from your parts manufacturer for build specifics and to install any cooling hardware / software as recommended by your parts manufacturer.
  5. Avoid Installing Asus AI Suite for the time being until you have made a full system backup and restore image, as it is known to cause issues, compatibility dramas and conflicts for some. Armoury Crate should mostly negate the need for AI Suite anyhow, but im told there are better software applications for performing most of the functions AI Suite provides however im just relaying something ive read online and thereby its informational and not advice. I presonally have had no issues with AI Suite software but thats probably because i stopped installing it after the debut of Armoury Crate
  6. The key here is to configure your system as problem free and stable as possible to ensure no conflicts or errors of any kind so that you have a working problem free initial setup of just mission critical components or software and those parts and software are adequately protected from overheating, under current, over current and air quality / dust pollution.
  7. CLEAR YOUR CACHE - just do it. go to <windows settings< storage sense<Temporary Storage< tick everything like temp internet files, thumbnail cache etc. All of it needs to go bye bye. Boot into safe mode to clear anything you cant stop from being in use. If you get any failures or items you simply cannot purge. 
  8. Backup your system. I use Macrium Reflect 8. Its brilliant and very powerful highly configurable backup software. You can use the free version however peace of mind and confidence will be found only when you purchase a licence which is affordable and exceptional value for money considering the quality of software and professionalism of Macriums system imaging for backing up your invaluable data  seamlessly with USB Drive System recovery tools which makes catastrophic Bootability problems an excuse to enjoy it.
  9. Clear Your CACHE AGAIN
  10. Boot into UEFI BIOS using the delete key at startup. Ensure your issue is currently not in active annoyance. For example my m2.2 option for RAID on NVME drives under PCH Storage needs to display two options:- M2.1 and M2.2 with option set to enabled for both to ensure my RAID 0 Boot drive functions. If they are both showing here correctly i can head straight to tools. Head to <tools< Asus Profile Tool.  Give it a name Save your config to position 1. To be extra safe, make a profile backup to a spare USB Drive also.  

I Hope this Helps Others

Regards,

Mike

Unfortunately I cannot make changes in the BIOS. It is one of those old useless BIOS menus with the blue header and white background. There are no options to change the CPU overclocking in the BIOS. It has to be done with the Asus ROG Gaming software.