cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Voltage?

RickSinGA
Level 11
I thought I had Offset Voltages figured out but I seem to be confused now. I have O.L.D. so I stay pretty confused most of the time.

I am running a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with a i7-2600K at 4.6 GHz.

It had been running with an occasional FSX freeze at +.015 offset for several weeks. I decided I might need to bump the voltage and tried +.020. It seems bulletproof now with no noticeable increase in CPU-Z Core Voltage 1.344 and temps under FSX of 49c and Prime95 and OCCT of 59c maximum after several hours.

I thought, not sure why, that the VID showed the voltage the CPU was programmed for, by Intel at that speed, and the offset was what you added or took away from the programmed voltage. That does not seem to be the case as my VID calls for 1.37V and the CPU is operating under extreme load at 1.344 with the above offset. I would think that I need to apply a Minus Offset rather than +.020.

Could someone straighten me out?

On the good side I received my i7-4790K today, waiting on the Max VII Formula to come out to begin my new build.

Thanks
Rick S.
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The voltage you see at load is a combination of things. Principally I would guess you are seeing Vdroop at load where the CPU drops voltage to protect itself against spikes. The amount of droop is dependent on LLC settings so this will affect what you see as load voltage. Finally positive offset is not straight maths...the CPU takes your offset and then does it's own thing a bit; based on thermals, exact load type, current draw etc...."dynamic" voltage it's called or something like that....

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your system is behaving as it was designed to behave. As the amount of work your CPU does increases quite a few things happen. Firstly the full amount of voltage at the processors disposal is brought to bare. But Intel build in a fail-safe mechanism to protect the CPU this is simplistically what we term vDroop is. This vDroop causes the amount of available voltage to not be fully utilised in case there are fluctuations in the current that may go over the recommended limit and cause damage to your CPU.

Lots of folks feel they do not need this protection, I am not one of those, and they increase the LLC to even it out.

vDroop is not a bad thing. If your system is stable with the increase to the offset you have now applied let it me and simply enjoy the system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.