cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I7 4790k Heat issue, delid candidate?

Blackcossie
Level 7
I have a i7 4790k running @ 4.8 ghz, 1.295v, tcase 55c, core temp 60-70c. Once I push it to 4.9 ghz, 1.375v, 1.20v cache. The tcase is steady at 65c but the core temp (80-96) are triggering adia 64 temp warning and it implements a throttle control system. Will delidding be a solution to this issue? I've had this processor at 5.0 ghz so I'm thinking this is a good one and worth the effort.
9 REPLIES 9

Blackcossie
Level 7
I was under the impression that tcase was the temp to watch, is it the core temp that is referred to in overclocking guides for this chip?

Blackcossie wrote:
I was under the impression that tcase was the temp to watch, is it the core temp that is referred to in overclocking guides for this chip?

Yes, core temp is what you want to pay attention to.

As WCPredator said coolaboratry liquid pro is what you want to use if you decide to delid. Delidding will void your warranty.

WCPredator
Level 7
Delidding with coollaboratories liquid pro (they say it's the best) is supposed to get you a 20c drop. But it's application i read is rough. All the reviews I've read say both the Devil's canyons top out at 4.8 (stable). I was going to do it anyway, then I realized my 4790k was using 1.3v at stock turbo 4.4. Intel said it was probably my mobo factory settings (even tho I've never heard of higher than 1.26v from the worst 4790k, and not on a hero vii), but I'm pretty sure it's a bad chip.
They said they would replace it after I went through all of this : https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-23517 , so that's cool... i guess. I don't really understand it lol, I'm just gonna make the store test it in a couple boards (still in their month warranty). My heat levels are great... so y they send me to an overheating page...

Blackcossie
Level 7
Ok, thanks for the replies. I've got it running 4.8 ghz @ 1.265v stable on adia64 and cpu burn in. I don't think its worth the effort for the extra 200 MHz.

jab383
Level 13
HI Blackcossie, and welcome

Yes, that Devil's Canyon is a good delidding candidate -- provided you have the cooling to take advantage of it. I'd suggest at least a 2-fan water cooling loop, 2x 140mm is better and it would need even more if you include VGA etc under water.

With this 4790K, before delidding and with MX-4 TIM and 2x 140mm water cooling loop, core temperatures were 78C at 115 watts, 92C at 144 watts, monitored in Aida64. Same CPU after delidding with liquid metal under and over the lid, core temps: 62C at 115W, 71C at 145W. It even did 93C at 199 watts without throttling. There are two ways to think of the thermal improvement: 1) The CPU runs cooler at the same OC - more temperature reduction when starting higher, or 2) The CPU can take more power to OC with under the throttling limit. The way you express the original post, I think you'll like the power margin approach.

I think that liquid metal TIM is the key to successful thermal improvement through delidding. The downsides are that any delidding voids the CPU warranty and that liquid metal is electrically conductive. You have to apply an insulating layer over the little parts that are lined up beside the CPU chip inside the package. I have used silicon caulk and nail polish successfully to insulate those parts.

Aida64 is a great monitor program- I use it exclusively. Core temperature is the operative parameter. Throttling and degradation are done in the cores according to the local temperature. Aida64 has what they call "CPU Package" temperature where they select the highest of the core temperatures at the time. That's the one I use because it includes all the CPU temperatures I'm interested in.

Have fun with the overclocking

Jeff

Blackcossie
Level 7
I'm currently running a h100i so I will try and apply some mx-4 and see if it helps. So you have retained the lid and just switched the TIM to liquid metal? What are your thoughts on no lid and mounting the cooling block straight to the die?

Blackcossie wrote:
I'm currently running a h100i so I will try and apply some mx-4 and see if it helps. So you have retained the lid and just switched the TIM to liquid metal? What are your thoughts on no lid and mounting the cooling block straight to the die?

If you do that and your not carefull you could either; A. Chip the silicon die, B. Warp the PCB the die is on or C. Damage some socket pins with uneven pressure.

The other alternative is to use a custom shim as a replacement for the heatspreader.

Note that you should also probably lap the bottom of the water block if your going for direct contact to make sure there is even pressure.

Blackcossie
Level 7
My thought was to use one of these MSI delid die guards, http://http://thepcenthusiast.com/msi-z97-xpower-ac-and-mpower-max-features-revealed/

Again, not sure I can justify the effort for "potentially" 5.0 ghz.

Blackcossie wrote:
My thought was to use one of these MSI delid die guards, http://http://thepcenthusiast.com/msi-z97-xpower-ac-and-mpower-max-features-revealed/

Again, not sure I can justify the effort for "potentially" 5.0 ghz.

You can run at 4.8GHz right now and then overclock it more later. 😛

Also that is a really sweet looking guard, it makes the 1150 socket look awesome. I wonder if you can buy it separately.