cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I humbly need help overclocking my 4930k on rivbe

smurf2047h
Level 8
I'll start by apologising if this is in the wrong section, first time posting here.

Before I get into what is going on can I first ask what is the recommended/common 24/7 voltage of these processors as all the information I'm getting now is starting to get confusing/overwhelming but as I understand 1.4v on water max?

Currently I've tried the optimised defaults and ran for 4 hours p95 blend test. no faults max temp 55c
I've ran auto voltage at current multipliers and this is what I get reported in cpuz :-

4.4 @1.376 max temp 64c
4.3 @ 1.328 max temp 61c
4.2 @ 1.328 max temp 59c
3.9 @ 1.248 max temp 55c

All tested 4 hours P95 blend test

Do any of these look unusual for this processor? The thing I don't understand is if I enter these values manually non of them are stable so unable to lower afterwards. I have also tested the ram separately to rule out ram instability. All ok on auto just unable to set manually

Done the same with ram tested at stock 3.9 settings 1333 no faults. then ran at rated xmp profile 2133 all ok. mem86 8hours each test clear.

These are just some of the many setting I've tried just too many to list. Essentially this is what I've done at a basic starting point

So in a nutshell would somebody please spend a little time with me going through different things to try and achieve a good 24/7 overclock. Primarily I use this for gaming. What I'm really looking for is the best performance from my equipment and I don't feel auto settings are giving me that.

Thanks in advance for any help given
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
smurf2047h wrote:
Do any of these look unusual for this processor? The thing I don't understand is if I enter these values manually non of them are stable

Hello smurf

Those don't look out of the bounds of ordinary with those CPUs

Strange that setting manually does not work...

You set XMP and then change multi to 44 and set manual voltage 1.375 say...and LLC and Current capability in DIGI+ settings?

Let us have some details of what you set...

Screenshots of BIOS even if you format a USB pen FAT32 and press F12 in BIOS...

🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

You set XMP and then change multi to 44 and set manual voltage 1.375 say...and LLC and Current capability in DIGI+ settings?

Let us have some details of what you set...

🙂

Hi Arne
Will get those screenshots for u tonight hopefully it's something I'm dialling in wrong.
Whilst I get those for you can I ask is it better (by that I mean can I get better performance) to use the strap options or just the multiplyer leaving strap at 100?
Also i understand these don't really like offset voltage but I don't see my voltage going down when set manually which I wouldn't expect in honesty but I do when set to auto. Am I missing something? I've never had problems like this before but this is my first 2011 board I previously had 1155 3770k and used offset with it fine.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

🙂

Hi Arne
This is my current so for stable settings mostly auto as u can see:

This is what I did to get 44 but not stable

All I used was the voltage found in cpu z at load when on auto which is where I began. Voltage for 45 was 1.4 and change and from what I understand is too high so backed it down to 44. ideal target would be 46 but didn't try for that as the voltage was too high on 45 (Temps don't seem to be an issue).
i originally tried increasing llc to a higher value which didn't seem to make any difference. I lowered this afterwards because I read that it wasn't advised. Not to sure about current capability it started at 170% and I thought this was too high so I lowered to 130%.

The reason i asked about straps was when i had a small fiddle with them i noticed at a strap increased the reported fsb speed in cpuz and things seemed quicker to respond but still wasn't stable so seen as I've never used straps before I thought I would ask about using them for a 24/7 usage and if it was a better way of overclocking

Thanks for your time let me know what your thoughts are

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Some of those CPUs could get to higher clocks on 125 strap but for 4.4GHz and below, for 24/7 type OCing I'd stick with 100 and offset should let you get speedstep working.

Setting manual voltage does indeed stop speedstep working.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK had a look through that and all looks fine to me more or less. Stock of course mostly auto so fine..

For the OC I would try CPU current cap at 170 or 180% these CPUs quite often like that up high to be stable and I have it direct from Raja that that high is no problem. I would set LLC at MED. Also disable CPU Spread Spectrum when OCing...make sure the power phases are optimized or extreme...think current cap might set this automatically up high...

One thing..I see VCCSA manual voltage but no voltage set...best return that to auto or if manual input a voltage..

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
For the OC I would try CPU current cap at 170 or 180% these CPUs quite often like that up high to be stable and I have it direct from Raja that that high is no problem. I would set LLC at MED. Also disable CPU Spread Spectrum when OCing...make sure the power phases are optimized or extreme...think current cap might set this automatically up high...

One thing..I see VCCSA manual voltage but no voltage set...best return that to auto or if manual input a voltage..

Hi Arne
Been testing all day yesterday this is what I've got so far stable :-

Thanks to your information I've managed to get a stable 45 clock. Tried the setting u suggested and @ 1.375v I bumped multi till unstable. What I've noticed though is whilst under load its not reporting in cpuz 1.375v it fluctuates between 1.360/1.344v I presume this is the vdroop I keep reading about. Now 45 dosent like much less than the 1.375v which I'm ok about so ive set my offset voltage to keep this as my starting point for any more tweeks u might suggest.

Going on from that I manually moved voltage up progressively to see if I could get 46. 1.420v will boot into windows fine but not stable in prime95, cpuz reports a fluctuating 1.395/1.375v. I originally couldn't get 45 stable at that voltage. So what would u suggest sticking with the 45 and be happy (lol) or are there some more tricks up your sleeve?
Thanks again I'm now starting to see light at the end of the tunnel

M11C
Level 10
smurf2047h wrote:
I'll start by apologising if this is in the wrong section, first time posting here.

Before I get into what is going on can I first ask what is the recommended/common 24/7 voltage of these processors as all the information I'm getting now is starting to get confusing/overwhelming but as I understand 1.4v on water max?

Currently I've tried the optimised defaults and ran for 4 hours p95 blend test. no faults max temp 55c
I've ran auto voltage at current multipliers and this is what I get reported in cpuz :-

4.4 @1.376 max temp 64c
4.3 @ 1.328 max temp 61c
4.2 @ 1.328 max temp 59c
3.9 @ 1.248 max temp 55c

All tested 4 hours P95 blend test

Do any of these look unusual for this processor? The thing I don't understand is if I enter these values manually non of them are stable so unable to lower afterwards. I have also tested the ram separately to rule out ram instability. All ok on auto just unable to set manually

Done the same with ram tested at stock 3.9 settings 1333 no faults. then ran at rated xmp profile 2133 all ok. mem86 8hours each test clear.

These are just some of the many setting I've tried just too many to list. Essentially this is what I've done at a basic starting point

So in a nutshell would somebody please spend a little time with me going through different things to try and achieve a good 24/7 overclock. Primarily I use this for gaming. What I'm really looking for is the best performance from my equipment and I don't feel auto settings are giving me that.

Thanks in advance for any help given

the preset profiles are garbage! i cannot stress this enough.

with a decent CPU you should be able to do 4.5GHz at 1.2 Vcore.

sorry, but i didn't read the whole thread.

PM me, If you want some guidance, and i'll look into it.

good luck

Watercooling FTW :cool:

"essentially one of the most hardcore overclocking motherboards ever made."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/24/asus_rampage_iv_black_edition_motherboard_review/7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Good job! That sounds better. Great job on finding offset...exactly what you want to do!

Pretty much I would suggest staying at 45...these CPUs are a world to themselves so you can't really take what someone else is running theirs at and apply that to yours as I'm sure you know. Each and every one has a point where the next 100MHz bump costs too much voltage to be worth while.

I ran mine lower at 4.4GHz despite being able to hit 4.9...because that was a sweet spot...great performance at 4.4 and good temps and voltage for 24/7

You're right, that is vdroop giving less load voltage (you could try RealBench stress test by the way...a bit kinder to the CPU and a tough test for the system as a whole RAM GPU and CPU as opposed to just CPU).

I don't really have much more to be honest...OCing these days is so tied to Vcore basically...looks like a nice OC....maybe PLL can be run a bit lower like 1.75 or 1.7 or 1.65 even...might reduce temps by a fraction....

Thanks your time Arne been great help

I had previously tweaked with PLL but left alone when I couldn't get stable I tried to reduce what I was changing to a minimum so I could identify what made a difference primarily. Will give it a go now seen as ive a stable starting point.

Think the main difference was cpu spread spectrum I never knew that could make as huge a difference as it did.

Thanks again bud now to tweak the ram and then the gpu. Do you have any recommendations for the ram for this cpu? High frequency vs low latency?