cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am new to overclocking and Im looking for help

blazinblevins
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am new to overclocking so please forgive me if I don't explain things correctly, I am doing my best.

I have an 8700k paired with a Maximus X Hero wifi board and keeping this system cool are two rads and 5 noctua fans. When I was planning this build my goal was 5Ghz or higher. Well I managed to get 5.1 Ghz at 1.25 volts with average CPU temps reaching 53-58 degrees according to Speccy. I followed this video to achieve this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU&t=4s

I would like to learn more about overclocking and how the different settings for my board work together. I want to push this as hard as I can. I did notice something that was concerning though. Core 0 ran 10 degrees higher than the other cores. Is this normal? Can this be addressed in the bios? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW i use this build for gaming and streaming from one system.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

BigJohnny
Level 13
Were all new to OC. Been at it awhile and learn something newe all the time.

Core spread is going to happen. 10C is a bit wide for 53.58C which is nowhere close to hitting what Im comfortable with. Altough thermal throttling doest happen until 105-110 depending on the chip according to intel when you pass 80C the life of the processor begins to degrade.

What Rads?
What block?

Video is OK bit two things I disagree with. Dont enable XMP until you get your CPU to where you want it and set the VCCIN to like 1.7 to 1.9 max, never more. You dont want to leave that in auto or you get power spikes.

The only way to knock a core temp down from the others in the BIOS is to do OC by core which takes longer but that would equate to that core being pushed less, assigning it a lower frequency and lower Vcore.

A little more info on what you are running for components would help. The core spread could bee a bad TIM job, crappy TIM. bad mount ofr not being judgemental here but a POS block. If its an EK block send it back. HK IV pro is one of the better blocks and best Ive used to date is a new company out of Chicago. Optimus. If you arent in the US you kinds SOL on that one as they havent set up international logistics. They have a fresh approach and I just switched to their Signature V2 block on a 9940 X and running 14 cores with a 6C spread at 4.8GHz 24x7 and ran it up as high as 5.1Ghz.

The video is a good start, but like I said biggest thing is wait to set XMP until after you get your CPU squared away as having that set can actually hold back your OC.
What Ram kit are you running? make sure its a kit and not mixed even if its the same part number.

BigJohnny wrote:

What Rads?

Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator - Black Carbon

What block?

A little more info on what you are running for components would help.

What Ram kit are you running? make sure its a kit and not mixed even if its the same part number.

CPU:
Intel i7 8700k Delided. (To be clear I popped the lid off and replaced Intel's thermal pace with liquid metal and put the lid back on and applied some thermal paste before putting the cpu block on)

MOBO:
Asus Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi

EKWB PARTS:
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel for the CPU
EK-FC1080 GTX FTW2 - Nickel for the GPU

RADIATORS:
Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator - Black Carbon (1)
Black Ice Nemesis 420GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator - Black Carbon (1)

RAM:
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZKO
****This kit has the B-die I believe*****

PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Modular ATX Power Supply

Hope this is everything you need.

HisEvilness
Level 7
Temp difference is usually a bad thermal paste appliance, in some case a bad mounting of any cooling solution. Ever rarely the TIM, but the paste used by Intel is bird **** that is supposed to last decades and does not cool very well. If you up for it you can delid it and apply some LM.

As far as overclocking goes I wrote an article myself for the 8086k that is a better binned 8700k on a Hero XI, you can read it here: https://www.hisevilness.com/articles/technology/intel-i7-ocing-the-8086k-on-z390.html

BigJohnny
Level 13
Hardware should be able to handle the OC. Just run up the CPU before doing anything with the RAM.
Use HwInfo64 for temps, gives min and max and a lot of other things that are not in Speccy and use Blender to test for stabilty. You can leave it up and running in sensor only mode.

Two of 9940X OCd to 4.8 all 14 cores.

Example showing cinebench run

another with blender (more taxing on CPU)

Ok. Lots of learning going on here. Ne t question: would you use prime 95 or Asus RealBench?