cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please choosing water cooling kit for a Rampage III extreme.

TarifaPirate
Level 7
Hi all, This is my first post so forgive me if its been discussed before.

I have just upgraded my gaming pc to a Rampage III extreme (I know its not the latest but better than what i had before) the problem is the northbridge IOH is running a little too hot for my liking 73C at default settings.
It came with 2 motherboard heatsinks the stock ROG one with a little fan, and a Water cooling block that also covers same area. Ive tried removing and re-applying TIM on both but all that did was bring the temps down from 85C to the current 73C. ive check screws and the tightness of the heatsinks
So my question is can anyone recommend a water cooling kit that i can add to the block i have already to get the temps down further.
This is my first move into water cooling so I have no idea where to start.
I think I need a reservoir and a pump and some pipes that fit into my northbridge/southbridge block? I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case and plenty of room in the 5" inch bays also the case has 2 holes in the back top which I assume are for mounting water cooling.
All my other temps are acceptable to me 30/40C its just the northbridge im concerned about. (maybe later I will water cool everything but i thought i would start with this)
so what basic water cooling bits will i need get my block doing what its meant for.
Thanks in advance for your help.
The last picture shows my effort for now to get the temps down (85C to 73C running idle) until somebody with more knowledge can help me on the
path to water cooling the motherboard.

**i7 950 @ 3.7GHz~ Zalman CNPS9900 MAX ~ Asus Rampage III Extreme ~ Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ RoG Thunderbolt audio/network ~ Corsair GS800W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston 240GB SSD ~ 2x WD VelociRaptors 300GB ~ WD Caviar 320GB ~ 2x Asus RoG GTX 580 Matrix Platinum ~ 2 x HP 2211x 22" ~ Cooler Master HAF 922 case ~ Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS Laser Gaming Mouse ~ Razer Starcraft II Marauder Gaming Keyboard**
3 REPLIES 3

TarifaPirate
Level 7
The last picture shows my effort for now to get the temps down (85C to 73C running idle) until somebody with more knowledge can help me on the
path to water cooling the motherboard. :confused:

**i7 950 @ 3.7GHz~ Zalman CNPS9900 MAX ~ Asus Rampage III Extreme ~ Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1333 ~ RoG Thunderbolt audio/network ~ Corsair GS800W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston 240GB SSD ~ 2x WD VelociRaptors 300GB ~ WD Caviar 320GB ~ 2x Asus RoG GTX 580 Matrix Platinum ~ 2 x HP 2211x 22" ~ Cooler Master HAF 922 case ~ Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS Laser Gaming Mouse ~ Razer Starcraft II Marauder Gaming Keyboard**

TarifaPirate
Level 7
Ok so I have found out what the water cooling block is that I have its a MIPS ASUS Rampage III Fullcover Nickel POM Limited Edition so all i need to do
now is find out what coonections it uses and somebody to recommend a water cooling pump/reservoir kit too fit it?

TarifaPirate
Level 7
Ok so i figured out i need a G1/4 size connections and tubes to a pump and reservoir, now to find the best option, only need it strong enoughto cool the motherboard block but if I get a D5 this will give me more pressure in the future to add CPU cooling and GPU cooling too.?
Nobody has answered so i will just keep going then lol.