cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose an Asus - Graphic designer

MistressFu
Level 7
I need help. I am buying a new laptop for the first time in 5 years. I know what I want my laptop to do, but I have no idea what I need in order to do it. I was hoping I could get some fact and experience-based opinions from your community. As a graphic design student society leads me to believe I should bust out several thousand for a Mac but I can't help but feel I can get more for my money with a Windows computer.

-I want a laptop. Since I am a student I want my work portable.
-I am a Graphic Design major. I need to be able to do Web Design, see high resolution images, save large video and image projects...
-I do Childrens' book writing and illustration.
-I would like to run games such as Skyrim and Minecraft on high quality without lag.
-I would like a laptop that is known to last, able to upgrade, and replace parts, I would like value for my money.
-I have around a $1,500 budget.

I got some hands on with a G75VW-TS71 and thought it was beautiful but is it a look in the right direction?
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
A 17" machine is not very portable for a student. They are big desktop replacements. I had a 15" machine in school and even that was a challenge to find enough room for it + textbook on a desk or table. The G55 is the 15" version of the G75 so I would recommend that first. In terms of upgrade and replace it is accessible for storage and memory but not designed for replacement of the CPU & GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

X-ROG
Level 15
Some 15" G55s have Full HD displays giving plenty of resolution, although if you are doing graphics design verrrrry few laptops come with IPS panels, so you might want to look at adding something like a PA248/PA246/PA238 for color accuracy to back it up when you are sat at your desk. Actually, between the two monitors you'll get a great view of how users will see web-pages vary across panel types.

The G55s and GTX660M will handle Skyrim and Minecraft no problem:

Performance guide: http://rog.asus.com/111562012/g-series-laptops/g55vw-gaming-performance-in-nvidia-3d-vision-full-hd/
Upgrade guide: http://rog.asus.com/111602012/g-series-laptops/g55vw-upgrade-guide/