cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haswell and air cooler.......

Retired
Not applicable
Yesterday i read a post in this forum, from a guy, he didnt really know what to expect from a 4670k and a "regular" air cooler

So i thought i might give it a go>

Setup

M7G
4670K (not a cherry)
Mem at 2133mhz
Offset OC 4200mhz
Cache clock> auto/41
TIM = MX-4
Cooler EKL Matterhorn push/pull
No Die mount or other fancy HW mods
All overclocking done in bios, and with the mobo sitting on a box--> 😉

---

After IBT was complete the max temp showed about65c in Aisuit, but my experience tells me that +75c would be more correct, which pretty much is the end station, for a fully stable OC.. To push it higher = instability, and if more voltage are added in attempt to improve stability, even more heat are generated, and instability will follow / hamster wheel deluxe

So what did i get, without nuking my chip with heat and voltage?

A 4670K at a stable 4200mhz offset..

One tips> I know its fun to run the cache clock fast, but by lowering it to 41, instead of 42, you reduced heat = stability gained.. at the expense of a minor drop in performance..

4770k is a warmer chip, but if you got a 4670K 4200mhz should be possible, without any issues with a good air cooler.

I know there are dudes in here, running much faster with air coolers and Haswell, but i wanted to share this as a ordinary setup test, and what to expect..

4200mhz offset profile now saved in bios.. 24/7 use

Cheers, good luck

Premium >

additional test same OC profile, with CPU spread spectrum disabled this time >

Optional Torture>

Aisuit showed a max cpu temp of 65c, i had another app running alongside measuring the temp peaks, and it showed 80c peaks.. Polling stuff

So if your 4670K "only" reach 4200mhz with a air cooler, be happy for what you got..
9 REPLIES 9

Retired
Not applicable
I want to add that this overclock was not made with any auto overclocking feature..

The auto OC stuff, is not stable in the long run, and often comes with over voltages> heat, instability

meankeys
Level 13
Nice 1 Paw. Thanks for the info

Retired
Not applicable
your welcome..

Retired
Not applicable
so if i would go for lets say 4300mhz offset with this setup/CPU, and judging from the temps provided from aisuit = OK, after i boot up

But not, the OC would crash all the time anyway, and not be stable once massive load hit the cpu, crash after crash, and so on, no matter which voltages i am using..

Cadets > Think it over, why?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip that is about round for a reasonable air cooler. Thanks for taking the time and doing this Paw
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
vcore at + 0.30 offset

Retired
Not applicable
Yolandi $$ Matterhorn 4770K, and the board is back inside the Obsidian 350D.. AGAIN

I Swapped the 4670K for a 4770K today, and what did i end up with..

M7G
4770K (regular specimen)
Mem at 2133mhz
Offset OC 4300mhz
Cache clock> auto/42
TIM = MX-4
Cooler EKL Matterhorn push/pull
No Die mount or other fancy HW mods
All overclocking done in bios

First i tested with auto/42 cache and 4300mhz it worked fine..

and for the torture i stepped up the cache to auto/43 4300mhz, but after the IBT test i lowered the cache back to auto/42 (test 1)

so i got a 4300mhz OC , with the Matterhorn, and a i7 this time.. I am satisfied with this OC, i5 is spare now

Multi 43
Vcore offset + 0.010

Cache auto/42
Cache voltage offset + 0.010

I am going on my Caribbean trip soon, and plan to step down on my visits in here in the future..

Take care guys..

/ Does Bullshark's like Bratwurst? i am bringing the rod 😉

So if your 4770K "only" reach 4300mhz with a air cooler, be happy for what you got..

HiVizMan
Level 40
Once again good of you to post this up.

I see you are a fan of Yolandi from Die Antword. 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.