cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Trouble with Maximus VII Formula Watchdogs

the_baddo
Level 7
Hello friends, how are you?

Well, I've realized my dream and bought a Maximus VII Formula Watchdogs. Well, I have turned on the board with my processor (Intel I7 4790K), my memory (a single module 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333) and my video card (Radeon Powercolor R9 280x) and everything was going fine until I installed the drivers for the GPU. So, my screen flickered, gone dark and my pc restarted. Since then, the video driver shows an error (a driver crash that occurs all the time, even on the desktop startup, sometimes sooner, sometimes later) and I can't use the computer without being in safe mode, it just goes back to normal if I uninstall the driver.

I've tried everything: i've updated the MoBo BIOS; I've downloaded the latest version of the drivers for the MoBo and GPU; decreased the speed of the PCI-e slot on the bios and nothing worked. I have tested the GPU on another MoBo and it works very well, the same for another GPU on the maximus and the problem still persists.

Friends, I ask you for help and do this question: Are some of those components not compatible with the Maximus? May i trigger the warranty? Does it should work on a good way by itself in the act of building the machine, or should I do some setting in the bios for this first?

PS: I use a Raidmax 850W PSU with 80plus seal.

I thank you all, since now, for the atention and help 😃
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello the_baddo and welcome to the ROG forum.

What gpu driver was on the other pc you tested your gpu in?

Same version? Maybe try an older driver.

the_baddo
Level 7
I have tryied the last one, i've tryied the beta version too, and no one of these worked =(

I've tryied the version that cames with the GPU and nothing happened too, on windows 7 and 8.1.

Could it be a manufacturing issue?

Nate152
Possibly, Try your gpu in another pci express slot. if it doesn't help, you have a bad gpu.

You do have the pci express power cables connected to the gpu correct?

i have put the GPU on another slot and the Mobo reported GPU error on the led aside of the memory slots.

I don't believe my gpu is damaged, because i have tested on my brother's pc and it works perfectly... so i have tested his gpu (a radeon R7 260) on Maximus and the same thing hapenned. =( So i begin to be suspicious: PSU? Memory? CPU? MoBo? I thounght it was a MoBo issue, so, i'm thinking on call warranty 😞

Nate152
You could test your psu on your brother's pc to rule that out. If it tests ok, then it's your motherboard.

It's good you are able to test your components, it takes a lot of the guess work out.

Well, i have tested it right now and seems okay, so i think its the mobo, by elimination... I have to thank you, my friend 4 the help and the attention! Thnx a lot!! I hope be helpful for you someday!

Nate152
You're welcome

If you bought your motherboard from an online retailer, get with them about replacing it before doing an RMA with Asus.