Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Dies Ramdomly

sona1111
Level 7
ASUS Intel Core i5 8GB Memory 750GB HDD 14" Notebook
Windows 7 64-Bit
G46VW-BHI5N43

My sister bought this laptop to take to college a couple of months ago. The only mod that was done was a hard drive replacement, I changed the default spinning disk to a Seagate Monentus XT Hybrid. Computer was running fine for a month and she left for college a few weeks ago. Now She has emailed me reporting that it will just power off once in a while - not even when running anything stressful. (likely not something due to overheating) Any ideas what I could tell her or do with the computer if I got my hands on it?

Thank you
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Is it cutting off when plugged in and when on battery? This is sometimes due to a poor battery connection or a faulty battery.

I would still install something to check temps though, you never know.

Also you'll want to determine if this is powering down (as in initiated by some software), blue screen, or just a sudden power cut.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

My g46vw did that twice as well, I updated the BIOS and haven't had any issues since over the past three weeks and hoping to keep the streak going. What version are you using now?

xeromist
Good thought! Might also want to check the firmware on the momentus to see if there is a newer one.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

sona1111
Level 7
Yes, the powerdowns are described as just shutting off instantly (instant black screen). Likely its not software related.
While I remember installing almost all of the drivers from the website after installing the new hard drive, its possible that I may have missed some things, can anyone give a link or version number of a stable bios firmware if they get a moment?

Thank you.

BroPhilip
Level 7
My is running the current BIOS and I have still been shut down free. If you search the threads a few other had the same problem I believe its a error 41 power loss and causes a black screen complete shut off plugged in with full battery. I believe it is an issue with the asus instant on hibernation/sleep mode. Some have stated that turning that off also fixes it...