cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Safe boot broken

dmt_taran
Level 8
Safe boot button doesnt work if you stuck in bootloop, i.e. when dialing timings.

Is it amd boot procedure? Is it gonna to be fixed?*
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi dmt.taran

It sounds like you're trying to set or overclock your memory.

When I get into a boot loop, I power down the pc, press and hold the clear cmos button for 3 seconds, then boot up.

All should then be back to normal and you can have another go with dialing in the memory timings.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi dmt.taran

It sounds like you're trying to set or overclock your memory.

When I get into a boot loop, I power down the pc, press and hold the clear cmos button for 3 seconds, then boot up.

All should then be back to normal and you can have another go with dialing in the memory timings.

What about safe boot? It's way more convenient when you're dialing secondaries and tetriaries.

Nate152
I see the Crosshair VII Hero and Crosshair VII Hero WiFi support windows 11, I'm not sure what motherboard or windows version you're using but here are 7 ways to boot into safe mode with windows 11.

https://www.minitool.com/news/boot-windows-11-safe-mode.html

Nate152 wrote:
I see the Crosshair VII Hero and Crosshair VII Hero WiFi support windows 11, I'm not sure what motherboard or windows version you're using but here are 7 ways to use safe boot with windows 11.

https://www.minitool.com/news/boot-windows-11-safe-mode.html

I'm talking about Safe Boot Button!, not safe load.

Nate152
All right,

If the safe boot button is not working, try updating to the latest bios for your motherboard.

Nate152 wrote:
All right,

If the safe boot button is not working, try updating to the latest bios for your motherboard.

Already. Didn’t work with 3302, neither with 3801 - now its 4006, safe boot button still doesnt work

Nate152
Thank you,

After looking in the manual, I'm not sure why it's not working.

Does the safe boot button work when the system is booted up?

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you,

After looking in the manual, I'm not sure why it's not working.

Does the safe boot button work when the system is booted up?

Ha, nope! If you push it while logged into Win10, it just reboots, tries to post and fails - stucks either on CPU or RAM initialization. Restart button returns it to life - ofc that is in case of stable config.

The damn thing works only if you push it when PC is off - then it boots in safe mode like nothing happend, offering you "to check my settings"

A major fukup by asus if you ask me - won't even consider that Dark Hero could have such a problem, when M10H was totally fine.

Nate152
My ROG Maximus IX Code has the safe boot button, but I never used it and I'm an overclocker too. When things get unstable, I go to the Clear Cmos button and try again from the settings that were stable.

So, from what you're saying, the button itself isn't faulty as it triggers a boot. Since I never used the safe boot button, what we need to figure out is if it's working like it should.

Let's not give the safe boot button a bad cookie just yet as it could be normal procedure.

A little clue you gave is, it only works when the pc is powered off. What happens when you get into a boot loop, press and hold the power button to shut down, then hit the safe boot button, boot to the bios and "check my settings".

Does it keep the settings or go back to defaults?