cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair H80i & AI Suite 3

Marty72
Level 7
Greetings Community,

I am a newly proud owner of a Rampage Extreme V Motherboard and I7-5960X Processor.

To protect my new investment as I like to call it, I purchased a Corsair H80i Closed Loop Water Cooler. I have installed this in a Silverstone Raven Vertical Motherboard orientated case. Love the case as it has a right hand side viewing window and makes use of natural heat convection as well as 3 big 180mm fans at the bottom pressurising the case and forcing hot air out.

I have attached two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow Case Fan's as a Push Pull arrangement to the top of my case to also help as heat rises and there wasn't anywhere else to install the radiator lol.

I have the two fans connected to the CPU_FAN & CPU_OPTFAN on the motherboard and the single cable that's in a 3 pin connector from the H80i water block connected to CHAS_FAN_!A. I read in another post somewhere on this Forum that connecting the pump / water block to a chassis fan header and then setting it to DC mode should drive the pump to full 12v and hence max speed.

Also read that with the 3 pin connector with only 1 cable wired into it I should at least be able to get a RPM signal to report in the AI Suite 3 software.

I cant for the life of me get this to work, AI Suite doesn't detect anything connected to the Chassis fan header and hence I cant get any RPM readings.

Has anyone had any luck in getting this to work or been in the same boat and figured out a work around? I would be very please to hear from you if you have.

I am loathe to use the corsair link software as I have heard it conflicts with AI Suite and on a side note I don't really want to plug the USB connector onto my MB again as the first time I did that I smelt the old familiar smell of burning plastic and found a USB over voltage warning on my screen followed by a shutdown immanent warning. Much to my joy I found that the micro or mini USB plug that connects into the water block had melted and damaged the connection point on the water block as well.

So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Marty
7 REPLIES 7

Marty72
Level 7
BUMP 🙂 Please some one help me

Lexinious
Level 7
I cant get my rig to even begin to install the AI 3 so I don't know there. I'm running a R4BE with a i7 4930K @ 4.5g's with a Corsair H100i! Mine are plugged into the cpu1 header in which I put on Manual/100% in bios and it works just fine that way! temps hover around 42c...

Hope this helps

P.S. Also hope u didnt damage anything already which would be costly to you... good luck, hopefully someone has better info for you but thats how I run mine

Marty72
Level 7
Thanks for your reply Lex, the unit was replaced under warranty and by the looks of things so far there hasn't been any permanent damage. I haven't hooked the new one up to the USB header as yet so that will be the real test. Running a I7-5960X and used the AI suite for over clocking Temps are hovering between the 30 to 40 Deg C range but I haven't given it a really good stress test as yet. Originally I was a little concerned about the Noctua fans as they didn't seem to be pushing a lot of air out as an exhaust but the temps are good. They are probably just really good efficient fans.

Hopefully I find a Solution to the RPM issue soon.

Thanks again.

Lex do you have your USB 2.0 connection from the water block connected onto your motherboard? I know that the pump fan connector from the corsair unit only utilises 1 cable as an RPM sensor just not sure if I need to have the USB connected so the MB actually gets some status back from the water block initiated by the USB connection. That could be what I am missing, after the initial failure with the USB 2.0 header I was loathe to connected it onto the board again seeing as the pump was operating correctly.

Your thoughts?

Marty

WCPredator
Level 7
For the love of god AVOID AI SUITE 3 LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's temps at load are wrong (-20c), I used it once to try a voltage adjustment and it tried to kill windows. Your bios has a great q-fan utility, use that and design your curves. I haven't used corsair link but I hear good things. CPU is the only PWM header, CPU-opt is a mirror, and chassis headers are DC controlled. I've been meaning to plug in mine (3x230mm!) but the I'm lazy and have been doing other stuff with this new build, but I'll get there.

WCPredator
Level 7
U bough a Rampage Extreme V Motherboard and I7-5960X, and cheaped out on an H80i?? How does that figure? I mean it's not bad.. but it's not exactly great either. Unless you have a whack case that won't fit better, u did say your case was... different

Marty72
Level 7
Yeah case was pretty tight with room, so couldn't fit in a bigger radiator. Check out Raven 02 type case from Silverstone motherboard is rotated 90 deg and long video card prevented longer radiator being installed at the bottom. Seems to be working well so far.