cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

core i7 4820k offset Vcore ocing

eaglespeed
Level 7
hey guys.
so i`ve been trying to o.c my processor with offset settings, I did that with RIVE and 3820 but this time even when the offset is on auto and no - or + value it acts as if it was on manual. and when I change the value to negative even as low as -0.01 the system go BDSM as soon as the pc boots, for example I have my processor on 4.6ghz voltage at 1.37 on offset auto on cpu-z when I boot, but when I restart and set a negative value the system for some reason defaults to 1.150v ( shows on bios) and therefore won`t boot, but I wonder why this is happening.
I have read that past 4.4ghz offset becomes unstable, currently I`ve o.c to 4.6ghz and 1.35v stable on manual, I wish I can achieve this with offset mode so the system will become abit cooler on idle.
also one question, would it be more efficient to o.c like 2 cores to 4.6 and have the other 2 on 4ghz or 3.9ghz since games don`t seem to benefit from all the cores at this high core speed.
thanks.

Core I7 ivy-bridge E 4820K
ASUS ramage iv gene x79
8GB corsair 1600mhz ram
2x asus 4Gb Nvidia GTX670 in SLI
3TB storage HDD with 32MB cache
128 crucial SSD for windows 7
Cooler Master x6 CPU cooler
Corsair 350D Micro ATX obsedian Case
ASUS ramage iv gene x79
Corsair K90 mechanical Keyboard
Corsair M90 Gaming mouse
ASUS 1440p 4xHD LED monitor
Corsair Performance 120m fans x3
Seasonic 1000w platinum Power Supply up to 3x SLI or Crossfire
4 REPLIES 4

Praz
Level 13
Auto is doing just what the name implies. A preprogrammed voltage is being set for the offset value based on the CPU speed. When you use a negative value you are setting the CPU voltage lower than the stock VID. Start at +0.050V offset or higher if needed to get the system to boot. Once in the operating system fully load all cores and check the loaded voltage with CPU-Z. Then adjust accordingly.

eaglespeed
Level 7
so now I was tweaking and thought to bring things lower a little, at 4.4ghz offset 0.80+, now idling at 0.880v and full load at 1.31v which is good, but when I reach 4.6ghz the voltage doesn`t drop, I was worried that the motherboard or processor had a problem, now all I have to do is save this profile and start going up in small increments until I reach 4.6 or 4.7. running prime right now making sure 4.4 is stable under this voltage 🙂

eaglespeed
Level 7
this seems to be working I`m at 4.5ghz 1.32v and drops to 0.9v when idle, this is one of those moments when the community help you simply by posting to them, and I must say ROG community is one of the best, I just become more active here, other forums would reply to you after weeks :), I guess the key is to take things from the bottom and work your way up, rather than ramping it up to 4.6ghz immediately and expecting offset to just work. I will see how far I can go with offset before my temps are too high or it stops working

Praz
Level 13
Good to hear you got this sorted. 🙂