cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD vs NVidia - final analysis?

Korth
Level 14
I'm not trying to start yet another AMD-vs-NVidia bash. Many people fervently support Red Team or Green Team, and that's okay, but that's not what this thread is meant to be about.

AMD and NVidia GPUs have different architectures - different design choices, strengths, weaknesses, and tradeoffs. It's difficult to make direct technical comparisons because while both companies build components to perform the same tasks they each approach things in substantially different ways. Complicated by the fact that many software/game titles are optimized for one or the other.

But I keep encountering persistent internet claims that an AMD platform somehow runs AMD GPUs faster and better than it will run NVidia GPUs. And it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable (to me) to expect AMD engineers to build AMD components which perform best when used in pure-AMD platforms. It does seem entirely unreasonable (to me) that AMD would deliberately design their systems to somehow cripple compatibility/performance when paired with the competition.

This seems easy enough to test: 1 AMD processor+motherboard, 1 Intel processor+motherboard, 1 AMD GPU, 1 NVidia GPU. Otherwise use the exact same hardware and software (just swap it around) across all four combinations. Run tests, benchmarks, games. Measure and compare real results, fps, and performance. Not to determine whether this card or that card or this mobo or that mobo is better than the other - to determine whether AMD/AMD vs AMD/NVidia vs Intel/AMD vs Intel/NVidia combinations produce consistent or varying results.

Has anyone actually done this sort of testing? I've combed the search engines but couldn't find any objective tests of this sort.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
If anyone wants to volunteer to run these tests - haha! - I suggest more or less reasonably representative (and roughly equivalent) high-end gaming platforms which avoid introducing overclocking/compatibility complexities:

Crosshair V Formula-Z with FX-9590 -vs- Maximus Formula VII with i7-4790K
Matrix R9-290X -vs- Matrix GTX780Ti
(stock clocks, 4x4GB DDR3-1600, overkill PSU, overkill cooling, fast SSD, clean Win8.x with latest drivers, etc)

[Edit]
Sorry, can't do these sorts of hardware tests myself - I spent all my money on an X99 platform, can't buy any more tech for a while. :rolleyes:
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Heini
Level 11
Where was this request when I still had the 9590 (all AMD) setup? I didn't keep the numbers but I remember that the gpu and cpu didn't seem to care what format it was in. Last week I did a test and was surprised to see that Hitman Absolution likes the 290X a tad better than the 980.

Menthol
Level 14
You can find these comparisons already on hardware review sites. The CPU architecture AMD vs. Intel is what you will be testing, the results of the GPU from an Itel to AMD system will be minor if even possible to distinguish