cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3700x oc on ROG STRIX X570-F

heart_of__the__
Level 7
Hi there.

I have recently started to overclock my 3700x. Using Ryzen Master, I've managed an overclock of 4.3ghz at 1.3v on all cores, I could try to go higher, but i don't want to atm. Is 1.3v save? I've heard different opinions on this.

Now, I also tried to set the boost of my fastest core to 4.4, and somtehing strange happened. The core would boost to 4.4 but suddenly all other cores of the ccx would downclock to 3.5 ghz. Is this a voltage issue?

Edit: Totally forgot, my temps are ~31C in idle and ~62C under full load in Cinebench R20. I'm using a Noctua NH-U12A. I really had no choice in that matter, when you're in Austria and don't use Noctua, you'll be stoned to death with mozartkugeln.

Jokes aside, those are my ram, dont know why it should be important, but here you go https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Overview
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
Ryzen 3000 series typically best left in auto+PBO-spread spectrum and/or auto-spread spectrum (some games respond better with PBO and some without it). Anyway not trying to stop you in your o/c adventure of the CPU.

However the best o/c is done via tighter memory timings. If you grab, Thaiphoon Burner + Ryzen Dram Calculator you should be able to get better memory timings.

http://softnology.biz/files.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ (new version due out sometime in Jan 2020)

So, judging from your disinterest in my 1.3 v question i gather it's probably not a dangerous amount of voltage for the chip.
What about my other question: "Now, I also tried to set the boost of my fastest core to 4.4, and something strange happened. The core would boost to 4.4 but suddenly all other cores of the ccx would downclock to 3.5 ghz. Is this a voltage issue?"

I already downloaded Ryzen DRAM Calculator and Thaiphoon, still have to adjust the timings though, thanks anyways.

Btw, IMHO 4.3 ghz on all cores is not a bad OC, IDK why everybody says Ryzen 3600x and 3700x can't OC, it's not true. My last chip was a 6900k. That would go to 4.4 ghz, and I never bothered trying to get 4.5 stable. Sure it was an OC of 700 mhz if you disregard that one core would boost to 4.0 by itself, but the numbers I see in Cinebench are not that far off in terms of the increase due to the OC and back then nobody would say that the 6900k wasn't able to achieve a decent overclock.

heart_of _the _tiger wrote:
So, judging from your disinterest in my 1.3 v question i gather it's probably not a dangerous amount of voltage for the chip.
What about my other question: "Now, I also tried to set the boost of my fastest core to 4.4, and something strange happened. The core would boost to 4.4 but suddenly all other cores of the ccx would downclock to 3.5 ghz. Is this a voltage issue?"

I already downloaded Ryzen DRAM Calculator and Thaiphoon, still have to adjust the timings though, thanks anyways.

Btw, IMHO 4.3 ghz on all cores is not a bad OC, IDK why everybody says Ryzen 3600x and 3700x can't OC, it's not true. My last chip was a 6900k. That would go to 4.4 ghz, and I never bothered trying to get 4.5 stable. Sure it was an OC of 700 mhz if you disregard that one core would boost to 4.0 by itself, but the numbers I see in Cinebench are not that far off in terms of the increase due to the OC and back then nobody would say that the 6900k wasn't able to achieve a decent overclock.

I never said the Ryzen 3000 series cant overclock and you'll find no one else has with any knowledge has either (to my knowledge). What is generally been found from testing is that AUTO is good enough and training the memory timings is worth more. Your experience with Intel chipset, has no meaning to AMD architecture / chiplet design which Intel monolithic designs don't use unless you look at that failed batch of chiplets that appeared late last year. What I provided is best way to achieve from your processor, what you decide to do is completely up to you. Happy O/C.

Wise men say, it's never wise to assume. disinterested does not mean I agree.