cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170-K BIOS Update Help (Only Old BIOS POST, 2 x New=Nothing)

bugme-not
Level 7
I need some help or advice on making a BIOS update work.

The problem is this, any BIOS flashed in from within the BIOS itself w/ EZ Flash 3 or with a SPI flash programmer, after BIOS 2003, fails to allow a post after the flash is complete.

I have Z170-K & G4400 CPU, and no matter what I do last BIOS that is usable is version 2003. This board was sold to me because previous owner updated to 3031 for his new K CPU (6700K), but after flashing BIOS and even after new CPU arrival no progress was made and he couldn't or didn't know how to recover back to older working BIOS versions.

He did tell me previous BIOS before he updated to latest was one that allowed overclocking on i3 - is there something special I need to do that undoes those hacks, before I can use the latest BIOS? I assume nothing special is needed, other than SPI programming whatever BIOS I want to use since it contains the microcodes and ME that allow the Non-K overclocks in the past. Maybe that assumption is wrong?

I have a SPI flash programmer, and am very familiar with recovery and editing BIOS etc, so recovery after failure is not a problem for me and I have tested the failure in many ways trying to find a way to get the newer BIOS versions to function properly.

Board runs, nothing progress past FF (4-digit card) or 0F (2-digit card) on on debug 80h card (this applies when working properly though too). In this state the board runs with blank screen and no reboots or beeps. I have let it run for 30+ minutes like that, unplugged both power cables, removed the CMOS battery and shorted the CMOS pins, nothing changes this post flash/program behavior (Same behavior - high fan speed + nothing else, with no BIOS chip installed).

I have even edited a 3301 BIOS (removed CAP), inserting the older microcode for 506E3 (84) from 2003 BIOS since that works, but same reaction to those changes too. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with this CPU and one of the newer Intel ME versions, but surely they'd all be compatible with G4400 or Asus wouldn't put out BIOS without warning about certain CPU's. I considered editing in older Intel ME, but I am aware of the issues with old ME versions and the recent security problem too, so latest ME should be what I'd want to use and it should be working since it's already in the official BIOS anyway

Brief Summary - Z170-K & G4400
Using onboard DVI or VGA during testing, but also verified same applies with PCIE card use as well - no other peripherals connected except KB

Issue-
1. Newer official BIOS, or edited (adding old known working microcode), fails after flash via EZ Flash 3 or proper programming w/ SPI flash programmer, causing no boot/POST
1a. Additionally tested removing latest 2x 506E3 codes (A0) and inserting only older known working (84) on latest 3301 BIOS
2. Last working BIOS is version 2003
3. Have left running w/ blank screen for 30+ minutes post flash/programming
4. Have cleared CMOS with power disconnected and battery removed post flash for 30+ minutes

BIOS I have tested - not working (Flashed from within BIOS w/ EZ Flash 3, or programmed with flash programmer Cap removed)

BIOS I have tested - working properly

Goal is to get latest BIOS flashed in and working so I can sell this board, hate to try and sell it telling buyer old BIOS is there and not to update.

Hope someone can advise, thanks!
0 REPLIES 0