cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD+HDD Configuration Question ?

CodeMe
Level 7
Hey Guys.. Hope everyone Aright 🙂

Ok So as some of you know I'm Doing a few Upgrades.. (about Damn Time to lol)

Ok So Talking to HiVizMan & a few other's, I Know how I'm setting the 2 SSD's up, One for OS & the other for games.

I'm cool with with this & it makes sense.. Thanks
HiVizMan

But I have also 2x Brand new 1T WD Caviar Black ( The Full New set up Is In my Sig Below )

However I was Just reading this thread here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31283-Crosshair-V-Formula-3xHDD-RAID-0-1-SSD-non-RAID-BIOS-...

And I'm Now somewhat confused I was just going to Install 1 SSD into port 1 & Install my OS
Then I was going to Just Plug the other SSD into port 2 after everything was Installed ok.

Then I was going to Plug up the 2x WD Blacks into Ports 3/4 & reboot & enter the BIOS & set up RAID-0 for them 2 1T Drives.

But From what i read in the Above link, this is wrong I have to &

2nd) Plug in your SSD into Port 1 and in BIOS set it to RAID, but your not going to set up your RAID yet. next Install Windows as usual and remember to install the RAID Drivers from AMD along with the other TWO Driver Packages from Here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...windows.aspx#2

3rd) Once you have Windows Fully installed and Updated along with ALL of your Drivers and ready to finally install a game 'SHUT DOWN'. After the system is Down plug in to Ports 2,3,4 your RAID Drives and restart the System then durring POST press the "ctrl" and F keys to get into the RAID Set up and from there you'll only be choosing the Drives that are alike or on Ports 2,3,4 DO NOT CHOOSE YOUR SSD! just leave that one ALONE.

So Setting the SSD to RAID as totally thrown me off my game plan, I thought I do NOT set the SSD to raid, Because i hate to lose Trim

SO from what I understand here, I Have to plug up my First SSD Port 1 & then enter the BIOS & set up RAID-0
Install windows on that SSD along with the RAID DRIVERS from the link above.

then Plug up my 2nd SSD to port 2 & then my 2x 1TWD into ports 3/4 & reboot & carry on setting up RAID.

So Can I ask, Can I NOT do it the way I was going to set it up at first or do I have to do it this other way.. Damn It
I'm so confused Guys lol, I thought I would just set up as Normal with-out RAID & then only after I Plug-up the 2x1T WD then reboot enter BIOS & set up RAID for them 2x1T..

Can Someone Please explain the correct steps I must take & the easy way please. This is my first time with SSD's & RAID, never done these before & I hate to get it wrong & Mess up.

Running Windows 8 Guys

Thanks Guys

Gaz

CPU:- AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
MOBO:- Crosshair v formula
BIOS:- Crosshair v bios 1703
COOLING:- Antec Kuhler H20 920
RAM:- Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz
GRAPHICS:- MSI Geforce GTX 670 OC Twin Frozr Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5
MAIN DRIVES:- 2x Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300
STORAGE:- 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
CASE:- Antec Dark Fleet Series DF35 Gaming
PSU:- OCZ Stealth X Stream-2 700W
KEYBOARD:- TT eSports Challenger Pro Gaming Keyboard

4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can use a software RAID that you create in OS with AMD as far as I know.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You can use a software RAID that you create in OS with AMD as far as I know.

No Idea what that is, at the moment lol as I've mentioned I've never done RAID ever before.

So are you saying that I can Install everything my way at the Top of the thread..

e:g- Install windows 8 on the single SSD first & get everything up & running.

2nd Plug in my 2nd SSD & leave it as is, as it's for games anyway.

3rd Install my 2x 1T WD & get hold of a RAID Software & sort the RAID out that way, as the 2x1T are just for storage anyway.

Just I've been reading a few threads & some contradict others..& I hear windows 8 is more SSD Friendly & some things don't need to be done as Win 8 as it would with Win 7 etc.

Well It's all learn Learn Learn Right Guys lol

theoneandonlymr
Level 9
if you first install the os to the ssd then plug the tb hdd in and in the os go to the run box and type disk management into it it will start the disk manager console and in that you can wipe the hdds delete any partitions on them then create a stripped raid o array (the os version (as good as any)) with your two hdds.

theoneandonlymrk wrote:
if you first install the os to the ssd then plug the tb hdd in and in the os go to the run box and type disk management into it it will start the disk manager console and in that you can wipe the hdds delete any partitions on them then create a stripped raid o array (the os version (as good as any)) with your two hdds.

@theoneandonlymrk

Ok That Makes Sense mate. Install as Normal the OS On the SSD 🙂

Then Once I'm happy to go ahead with setting up the 2x WD 1T
(Brand New, No Need for Wiping)

Just Slip into Disk Management & Create a Stripped RAID-0 Array. What ever a stripped means But you can Bet your *ss I'm about to do some Google work & learn what it is lol

As Long it's just as good & fast Then That's cool.

In the mean time I can Read & learn about doing the BIOS way, Because I feel I'm settling for 2nd best here & Not THE BEST as my Rig Deserves lol

Thanks Gary