cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown stalls and audio problems with PRIME B360M-A

BobTheCat
Level 7
I built my PC in early 2019 and it has been smooth sailing up until a few months ago.
Sometimes the computer fails to completely shut down. The display turns off and the fans reduce speed but remain on. I have to force shut down holding the power button.

I have a dual boot with Windows and macOS on separate SSDs. I primarily use macOS so I thought it was a hackintosh related problem.... until I noticed that it happens in Windows as well.

Another weird thing is while the shutdown stall happens at least a couple times a week, every ONCE in a while the audio won't be working in either operating system when I turn the computer back on. I.e. the audio option is completely greyed out. I can usually fix this by powering it off a couple times then the audio will be back.
I'd say the issue with the audio failing happens maybe 5-10% of time the shutdown stall happens.

Due to this happening in both my OS's I'm thinking it could be a failing PSU or motherboard. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with an ASUS board or if there's some way for me to troubleshoot / diagnose the problem. Thanks.

Seasonic Focus Gold 600w PSU
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
3.6ghz Intel i3 8100 Quad Core
16GB Ballistix DDR4
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB
Samsung EVO 500gb SSD, Western Digital 1TB SSD
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Despite it happening in both operating systems I would be tempted to install a fresh dummy OS on a separate drive and see if the problem persists there. A failing PSU will often result in random rebooting rather than any system stalls or hangs, and they would be sporadic based on load, not repetitious.

Try installing a dummy OS and update the UEFI to the latest available version from the ASUS Support portal.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I unfortunately don't have a spare drive to install a dummy OS on. Both my external HDD's are used for important backups. I do have a bootable backup that's a clone of my macOS drive, but that would defeat the purpose.

Also I believe I'm already using the newest UEFI.

Any ideas?

BobTheCat wrote:
Any ideas?

As above, really. You want to be testing on a fresh OS before spending much more time debugging. Might be an idea to start making image backups so it's not such a hardship every time.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Like I said, I do have a couple backups, which are fully bootable and function as intended. So yeah in a way I've already done what you've said, I have three separate drives that all boot fine. My BIOS is updated, drivers updated, everything software related has been troubleshooted already.

Doing yet another OS install for troubleshooting seems like a waste of time and money when the issue is 99% sure hardware related.