cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z77 System won't shutdown, fans still working

OGZ_Prescott
Level 7
Hello,

I have an issue that I cannot seem to find a solution, I pretty much looked everywhere and now I am starting to ask questions myself.

My system won't shutdown after I prompt Windows to do so. The screen goes blank and the system will just keep on running like nothing happened. I have to push power button for 5-6 seconds to force a shutdown.

Here is my system info:
Intel i7 3770K
Noctua NH-D14
Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3-1600 RAM
MSI GeForce GTX680
Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green
Corsair 400R Case
Seasonic 850Watt

Some more info about the issue:

• System is on Windows 7 x64, fully updated both OS and drivers.
  • Bios is updated. Tried both the latest official BIOS as well as the unreleased one that I found in this forum and the others.
  • Bios is set to default values. (Default values meaning 1333MHz on those 1600MHz sticks tho, is this normal?)
  • System temperatures are around 30-35 degrees celsius on idle. 60-65 degrees celsius on load.
  • Fan overtime ON/OFF doesn't make a difference and I seriously doubt that It should affect anything else than the small fans on the motherboard.

28 REPLIES 28

HiVizMan
Level 40
Are you running any applications that are java based?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I think i have a similar issue with the same board.
I sometimes find my comptuer with this black screen when I wake up in the morning.
My thoughts are that its gone to reboot after an automatic update and hung.
The only way to get arround this is to hold the power button.

Weird thing happens when I do this though, the USB keyboard stops working during the POST. So I cant get into the BIOS.
The only way to fix this is to unplug all USB devices while the computer is off, then plug them all back in, quite frustrating.

I have the latest BIOS.

they easy fix is turn your power supply off and unplug it from the wall let the mb drain for about 5 min. something on the mb must of hung.

I am having the same problem as the original poster. Also on a Windows 7 system (64-bit), also with the latest BIOS. If I shut down my system either from Windows or from the power button, the operating system shuts down but all fans continue to run and all my case LEDs stay on. Even I choose to put the computer into Sleep mode, the same exact thing happens.

I've looked through the BIOS settings and can't find anything that changes this behavior. Currently in order to shut down my computer, I have to turn off the physical switch on my power supply.

Also, this isn't sporadic. It happens reliably every time I shut down my machine.

you have to turn the power supply off and let it drain...then it should shut down right...some people have said it was the nvidia 30x drivers.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello guys I see the OP has not posted back as yet about the JAVA thing and it is not an issue for any of you.

Could you please confirm if your system is running at defaults, or test this for me. F5 in bios to get your system back to default. And then F10 to save and reboot.

I can not duplicate this currently so I wonder if it is some kind of bios setting or as has been suggested something that a nVid driver may be doing. Not sure how that would work if the system was powered off but you never know with electronics. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I am not using an nVidia card, so I don't think it's nVidia drivers alone. I am using an AMD Radeon HD 6950 and the latest 12.4 Catalyst Control Suite. Here's my setup:

Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth (BIOS 1015)
Processor: Intel i5-2500k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz - 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Catalyst Suite 12.4)
Storage: Crucial m4 128GB SSD and Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA HDD

I will try fully draining the motherboard's power today. I shut off the power supply switch every night, but I'll unplug it also and let it drain for a bit. I also haven't done any overclocking yet, so my BIOS settings should be at default, but I'll set them back to default and check that out also.

Over on Overlock.net's z77 owners thread there are a number of people with this shut down problem.

First test: Drained the motherboard power. I shut down Windows, switched off the power supply, and unplugged the power cord for ten minutes.

Result: No change. I powered back on after ten minutes, let Windows load up fully, then shut down again. All fans kept running and case LEDs stayed lit up after shutdown.

Second test: Returned the BIOS to defaults. Went into the BIOS (v1015) and pressed F5 to return the BIOS to optimized defaults. Saved the settings and exited with F10.

Result: No change. Windows booted up fully and then I shut down again. Fans stayed running and case LEDs stayed on after shutdown.