cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog secure erase

Seok_be
Level 7
Hello everyone!
After the purchase of a maximus vii hero for my new rig, reading the manual of the motherboard, I came across the chapter "ROG secure erase" which is a formatter (in bios) of ssd (which gives optimal parameters before the windows installation).
It is mentioned in the manual to take care of the ssd comptability on the asus website, thing I've done: I have a 512GB samsung 850 pro. Unfortunately the list includes only 2 samsung ssd, the 830 pro and the 840 pro 128go.
So ... Someone here have already try to do a secure erase on a 850 pro? Did you guys had problems? Is it really reboosting the ssd?

Thanks guys,

Seok.be
6 REPLIES 6

Pandur
Level 10
Secure erasing a ssd will restore the drive to near-new condition. If you're assembling a new rig with a new ssd there is no point doing a secure erase.

What secure erase does is tell the firmware in the ssd to overwrite every storage cell in the drive, so there's no remnant data on the drive. I haven't seen a single ssd manufactured in the last 5 years that don't support secure erase.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Seok_be
Level 7
I'm putting my "old" ssd in my new rig, that's why I wanted to erase all the data of my ssd as clean as possible to go on good foundations ! 😉 that's why secure erase looks good to me ^-^

Pandur
Level 10
Well according to Samsung their ssds support secure erase, and like you found out both 830 Pro and 840 Pro are already on the list, so I'd say go right ahead. But if you feel unsure if you should use the uefi secure erase or some other option, go read up on Samsungs faq. They got other secure erase options listed there.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Seok_be
Level 7
Yup, I saw that the Magician software from samsung is able to make a secure erase for the 850 pro !
My ssd is already formated with the windows installation and I had issues with the instal (need to disconnect my other hdd), hope the rog secure erase will work before reinstal 😛
Thanks !

NemesisChild
Level 12
If you want to erase the data for a new build, just direct Windows to delete (not format) the old partition.
And then proceed with the new Windows installation.

There's no need to secure erase in your situation.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Seok_be
Level 7
Thanks ROG Guru !! 😛