cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA'd board and software issue like windows being non genuine anymore

jeremiah
Level 9
So I ended up having a dead computer and cpu error led light on my mother board. I RMA'd the mother board and the computer is alive once again. My question is - do u have to wipe ur hArd drives and do a clean install of everything after changing mother boards? I did the advance rma witch sent me another mother board. The reason I ask is because I now have all kinds of software related issues, windows isn't genuine anymore, internet connectivity issues. So I'm guessing it's because of the different yet the same motherboard that's in the comp now?

PSU: Antec Platinum 1000watt
CPU: AMD FX-9590 currently, 1100T BE still around
CPU cooler: Swiftech H320
Mobo: Crosshair V formula-Z Bios 2101
Ram: Kingston hyper x beast 16gb [KHX18C10T3K2/16X]
VGA: 2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb WF3 oc
Case: Cooler master HAF-X
Keyboard: Logitech G710+
Mouse: Logitech G700s
Screen: Asus VG248QE
Hdd 1: SanDisk 240gb OS
Hdd 2: OCZ agility 3 60gb
Hdd 3: WD Black 1tb
Optical drive: Asus dvd\blue ray cheapy

7 REPLIES 7

Heini
Level 11
You should have to do no more than 'reactivate' windows. I've done it several times with board swaps.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
With a mother board swap you do not need to re-install Windows. The reason you are getting the re-activation/Windows not-genuine error is more than likely that you do not have internet connectivity as you pointed out. Get your LAN Drive issues sorted and Windows will (or should) "be happy again" 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, the windows activation thing is common with board swaps. Just do the phone activation and say you have windows installed on "one processor"...a hassle but there it is. The chipset etc should be the same but maybe reinstall chipset driver and LAN driver just to be sure...if you have any problems....

Detection
Level 10
Open CMD as Admin (Right click Run as Admin)

Type: slmgr -ato
MOBO - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz
COOLER - Corsair H100i / MX-4
RAM - 12GB G.Skill RIPJAWS X @ 2133MHz
GPU - XFX R9 295X2 8GB
HDD - 2TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair TX950W
CASE - Coolermaster HAF 922
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good advice there guys.

OP is this sorted yet?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

jeremiah
Level 9
Hey guys. So my internet connectivity issues were caused by the date the comp reset to lol. I noticed it was in 2008 and was giving me all sorts of errors while trying to browse the web because of invalid authenticity / certificate things lol. So fixing date got the internet to work then had to reactivaye windows via the phone way and bam. All is well again. That's for help guys

PSU: Antec Platinum 1000watt
CPU: AMD FX-9590 currently, 1100T BE still around
CPU cooler: Swiftech H320
Mobo: Crosshair V formula-Z Bios 2101
Ram: Kingston hyper x beast 16gb [KHX18C10T3K2/16X]
VGA: 2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb WF3 oc
Case: Cooler master HAF-X
Keyboard: Logitech G710+
Mouse: Logitech G700s
Screen: Asus VG248QE
Hdd 1: SanDisk 240gb OS
Hdd 2: OCZ agility 3 60gb
Hdd 3: WD Black 1tb
Optical drive: Asus dvd\blue ray cheapy

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for reporting back what the issue was and how you fixed it.

Enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.