cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Gene and 3rd Generation Intel

Hatross
Level 10
Hello, I am the proud owner of a P5AD2 Premium 🙂 and I figure it is time for a desktop upgrade... I have been mainly using laptops these past many years but now I am ready for another gaming rig.

At any rate my main question is about the Rampage 4 Gene and the to be released PCI 3.0 CPU. I was wondering if I will have only 1 PCIEX16 slot running at 3.0 speed when I drop one of those cpu's in later down the road? I think I heard or read somewhere that the second slot will run at only 8x

thanks for any info you guys may have... I'm just about to purchase and this is basically the only thing that will hold me up and wait on the next batch of motherboards, as I will want 2 slots running at PCI 3.0 speeds in the future.

thanks
...wide open
18 REPLIES 18

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
As of right now, there is nothing VGA cards wise that can soak up the full potential of PCIe 3.0. And yes, on every single motherboard out there, if you have 1 x16 VGA plugged in, it will stay at x16, if you plug in 2 x16's they both run at x8, that's how it is...it's all about the bandwidth provided through the PCIe lanes.

thanks for the fast reply... that sounds like a bit of a bummer? But I guess by the time PCI3.0 is released which is sometime before the end of the year there will surely be graphics cards released that will utilize and take advantage of the extra bandwidth and the 40 lanes of PCIE which PCI3.0 has to offer.

so I guess I am wondering if by this time next year when all this comes to fruition... will I get (2) x16 slots out of the Gene IV?
...wide open

Hatross wrote:
thanks for the fast reply... that sounds like a bit of a bummer? But I guess by the time PCI3.0 is released which is sometime before the end of the year there will surely be graphics cards released that will utilize and take advantage of the extra bandwidth and the 40 lanes of PCIE which PCI3.0 has to offer.

I doubt it. PCIe 3.0 was introduced in 2010. 3 years later, we still have yet to find a GPU that will saturate the PCIe 2.0 lane. Not even NVIDIA's GTX 690 monster can accomplish that task.

Just some food for thought. HardwareCanucks did a little comparison between PCIe 2.0 and the PCIe 3.0 in games. True, there is a slight gain of FPS using PCIe 3.0 but would you notice it in real life? Probably not.

Here's another comparison using a two way SLI GTX Titan configuration. 😉

Thanks for the info... then again these testing and comparisons are reflective of PCI 2.0 processors on the main board, would I be correct in assuming that? As a PCI 3.0 from Intel is yet to be released.

Looks like I laid a sour pickle of a question on the table for my first post ha! which is... will the gene IV retain (2) x16 slots with a PCI 3.0 processor.
...wide open

it seems to be a bad time to buy? maybe I should just wait till the new year and just grab the Lenovo Y510p for now.

I just can't stand that integrated graphics on all other intel chips, even though the 510p comes with sli... Which by the way is why I haven't been looking at or even considering other sockets, it makes no sense to me to have it there except on cheap netbooks with no video cards... and especially on a desktop.
...wide open

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Mate not even the current 4th Gen Intel CPUs offer dual x16 PCIe support and I have no clue if even Ivy Bridge-E will either.

yes... but the current 4th gen's with the miniscule pin count and onboard graphics embedded in the cpu do not support PCI 3.0 as they are Ivy Bridge.

A PCI 3.0 processor is going to open up a whole new can of worms ans marketing scams for us to gloat over... that pci 3.0 processor is going to surely utilize the 40 lanes of PCIe and that is the marketing we are most likely going to see on those upcoming related motherboards.

for instance Asus is going to be advertising a board which has 3 or 4 PCIe X16 slots when using a PCI 3.0 cpu.

I am just tired of losing a couple grand and falling victim to the marketing scam! Computers are obviously not like a Hot Rod... see my 1970 Chevelle with a 427ci big block in it will still blow the doors off these punks Honda's with shiny mufflers and lime florescent green paint.

Asus is advertising the PCI 3.0 READY on their boxes... but when PCI 3.0 cpu's come out there is going to be a switch up or limitation to the "READY" advertised boards...

I hope ya'll see where I'm coming from...?
...wide open

and to back up my claim...

PCI Express 4.0

On November 29, 2011, PCI-SIG announced PCI Express 4.0 featuring 16 GT/s, still based on copper technology. Additionally, active and idle power optimizations are to be investigated. Final specifications are expected to be released in 2014–15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

so we are always going to be chasing that carrot dangling from the string... would manufacturers have it any other way? ...surely not!
...wide open

and to back up my claim...

PCI Express 4.0

On November 29, 2011, PCI-SIG announced PCI Express 4.0 featuring 16 GT/s, still based on copper technology. Additionally, active and idle power optimizations are to be investigated. Final specifications are expected to be released in 2014–15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

so we are always going to be chasing that carrot dangling from the string... would manufacturers have it any other way? ...surely not! or else their sales would decline for a term or two to satisfy the consumer.
...wide open