cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E PCH Temperature

dklhs90
Level 7
Hello fellow PC enthusiasts,
I am creating this thread because after searching the forums I did not find anything on this matter.
My system specs are in my signature for your reference.

Today, I played many games of Tribes Ascend and after a while, I decided to take a break.
So, I quit the game and as soon as i was on my main desktop screen, ROG Probe II alerted me there was an abnormality occurred.
The PCH (Platform Controller Hub) has reached 60C which is where the threshold is set at. Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge to what the PCH does. But I did find out that when I turned my H100 to full power fan speed (Level 3 - All Lights are on), the PCH did not reach the threshold a second time while playing Tribes Ascend. Also, the CPU did run much cooler too. The first time I got the warning, my H100 was set to Level 2.

I would be grateful if anyone would fill me in with some innovative ideas to prevent the PCH from reaching the threshold and/or whether 60C threshold is too little if I play heavy games.

Thank you

Dongkyu Lee

*Edit: I played on my desktop.

*Edit: At H100 Level 2, the PCH temperature was alternating between 59-60C.

*Edit: At H100 Level 3, the PCH temperature was constant at 53C.

*Edit: At H100 Level 3 the PCH is idle at 42C.

Student | Gamer
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
The PCH is like the South-bridge of old. Now that the CPU has taken over most of the traditinal NB functions, memory controller and stuff like that all the rest are controlled by the PCH.

Here is an article that might help explain what it does better.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5089/sandy-bridgee-and-x79-the-asus-p9x79-pro-review

Is your PCH fan spinning?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OOoo Thank you for the fast reply, I will take a look at the article later on in the night.

By PCH fan, do you mean the little fan spinning covered by my second graphics card?
If yes, then I am happy to tell you that it is spinning, but maybe the GTX580 SLI is disturbing some airflow?
In this picture the fan may look like it is not spinning but it is, my camera is somewhat expensive hehehehe
In this picture you can see the fan is clearly spinning buried behind my graphics cards

Student | Gamer

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that indeed will cause a fair amount of heat to build up. Are you able to increase the airflow to your case? Or increase the extraction of hot air from your case? If so I would certainly increase the fan speed of a extractor.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dklhs90
Level 7
Yes, my H100 fans (2x) pulls air through the radiator and i also have another fan pushing air into the radiator. I also have an extra 120mm Air penetrator fan at the bottom of the case pulling fresh air in and 2 240mm fan taking air into the case, 1 of which is located directly at the position where the graphics cards and PCH are and finally a 120mm rear fan taking air out of the case. On my case, I have the option to make my fans rotate at high or low speed. the fans that are connected to this feature are the two 240mm case fans. So, i guess, when gaming i'd be better off putting the fans at their maximum potential.

Student | Gamer

mdzcpa
Level 12
Although it might make a little noise you can also adjust your PCH fan to run up close to maximum rpms. That said the best solution is more air through the case as you said.