cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4BE C states problem.

VVojtas10
Level 7
Hi!
I've got a problem with C states. I set it to Enabled(all of them) and EIST to Disabled(stability problems when Enabled). It worked well, before I update R4BE to new BIOS 602. Now I think it does nothing. In IDLE my power comsumption is about 30W, earlier it was 20W or even lower(in HWMonitor or CoreTemp). Where is the problem? New BIOS?
Thanks for help!
20 REPLIES 20

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi VVojtas10 🙂

Hard to say without full specs for the system....especially RAM...if you have one single kit or running two kits etc.

Are we talking stock CPU and XMP or OCd?

Of course BIOS change brings changes so it might be that....but...

Thank you for reply 🙂

My specs:
Core i7 4930K + Gelid GC Extreme + Noctua NH D14 @4GHz 1.07v
Rampage IV Extreme
G.Skill RipjawsX 2200 9-11-9 28 2T Dual Channel
Antec HCP 1200
Corsair Force GT 60GB

Some settings:
http://i.imgur.com/WJcMX3M.jpg

LLC: Extreme(tried Ultra High and High also, but it isn't it)

I use XMP. I have done it: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved...
So may be OS problem? Should I restore default?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The RAM...is that one single kit of two sticks running dual channel on the recommended slots? Have you tried bumping VCCSA and VTT up a bit tio say 1.05 or 1.1?

The SSD problem I am not sure about....a fresh install would probably be good after updating firmware and secure erase...and just let windows leave the microsoft AHCI drivers instead of RST..

Your OS is on crucial or on corsair?

LLC you should not really set more than MED

If you have some other RAM I would try that and/or Memtest 86+ the ripjawsx

VVojtas10
Level 7
RAM is one single kit and yeah in recommended slots. Bumping VTT or VCCSA don't help. When at stock it works well, but disabling EIST(other settings stock) causes that system doesn't decrease power comsumption. So may be EIST is connected to C states?

My OS is on Corsair. I uninstalled RST. System is stable(LinX, Cinebench R15 many times), no BSOD when stock and when OC also.

Why I shouldn't set more than MED on low Vcore? Does mobo get hot also at low voltages?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
EIST allows the voltage to drop at the same time as the CPU downclocks...if you disable it the voltage will not drop nor will the processor idle properly..

It should not need to be disabled...if you are unstable it is doubtful it is because of EIST..

LLC doesn't have much to do with heat...it is about countering vdroop and vdroop is another good feature you want protecting your CPU from voltage spikes.

Really the only time I disable EIST is OCing very high and I've only set high LLC a couple of times for the same reason...neither is necessary or desirable for normal use...but hey, it's your system you do what you want of course 😮

VVojtas10
Level 7
What I know is that LLC can be dangerous for systems overclocked to high volts, because under load voltages get even higher than you set. My Vcore is only 1.07V so in this case there aren't any danger for CPU 🙂 Extreme LLC let me to have slighlty lower voltages 😉

When EIST is enabled my system totally freeze in idle, no bsod. I don't know why.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

VVojtas10
Level 7
Manual Voltage, offset doesn't work for me for that voltage(too low I think)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you set manual voltage the CPU receives that voltage constantly no matter if it could be idling or not. If you leave speedstep it will downclock the CPU when idle and reduce voltage...typically 0.8xxv at idle. that is why it is useful since it reduces overall voltage to the CPU over time and this lets your chip live happier for longer.

I reckon if you set a negative offset that the CPU can handle at idle your overall voltage over time would be lower than the way you have things set up now. but that's just me...there as many overclocks as overclockers;)

LLC at extreme is actually adding voltage not only countering vdroop and it is meant for LN2 cooling...

What is your load voltage in CPUz running a stress test? 1.072?