cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P8Z68-V [BIOS 0501->0606] - Probs

Retired
Not applicable
Well, since couldn't get answer on user boards of ASUS. Perhaps I get lucky here. Got bunch of flaws in latest 0606 BIOS and few extra questions on hardware functionality.

Since BIOS 0501 to 0606 latest:

P#01 Problem: Controls to VCCSA voltage.
S#01 Solution: None

P#02 Problem: DDR3 - 2400Mhz profile is non-functional (got capable RAM to run those speeds even with low latencies).
S#02 Solution: None, no matter is the CL6 or 15 computer will not boot.

P#03 Problem: DDR3: Missing primary value: tRD/ (RAM Read Delay).
S#03 Solution: None

P#04 Problem: Save OC / profiles to USB.
S#04 Solution: None

P#05 Problem: EZ-Flash revert to backup BIOS (Older) or new version bUpdater/AFUDOS to revert earlier version of BIOS capabilities.
S#05 Solution: None

P#06 Problem: 'Additional Turbo Voltage'-function is totally unfunctional at any loadline calibration state other then Auto + Auto CPU voltages (What the hell is this an AI only function made out of Intel Standard?). It makes no sense setting 'Additional Turbo Voltage' while CPU voltage cannot be set at stock voltage while voltage is not increased while Turbo is enabled.
- Tested: Regular -> Extreme(Even while Extreme works differently than all other calibration models) Loadline calibration states none works as supposed to.
S#06 Solution: None

P#07 Problem: Disabling the iGPU does not shutdown the iGPU properly. It remains powered and it is the reason for above issues of bandwidth lose on PCI-Express x16 primary slot. Even while shutdown / disabled it consumes 1 GB/s(over 1500MB/s) of PCI-Express lane speed.
S#07 Solution: None

P#08 Problem: Down clocking BLCK is totally unfunctional. even -0,1Mhz decrease renders machine unbootable.
S#08 Solution: None, Seems BIOS is totally screwed anything ranging BALCK: 90.0-99.9Mhz

P#09 Problem: Fan control is not functioning correctly. Any true fan speed is 2100RPM maximums ASUS board does not offer while Fan Adjustments are disabled enough power to power up 0,30A / 12V Fan standard (Yet, another design to couple the connectors like 'Chassis'-Fan together and 'CPU'-fan together, but this time it ain't even providing enough voltage, lol).
S#09 Solution: Only by attaching 3rd party controller or power supply directly with control.

P#10 Problem: ASUS 'Plane Current' for iGPU is not 'Plane Current for iGPU' it is Plane Current for CPU Package, heh. By adjusting this Plane Current it disabled all CPU cores.
S#10 Solution: Fix the naming. It's rather stupid to call something GPU Plane current while it is not iGPU Plane current.

Since BIOS 0606 latest:

P#11 Problem: Stability issues rises. the OC Tuner is now totally unfunctional. 0501 BIOS clocked to 103.00Mhz / x42 at I5-2500K, but this new one just keeps rebooting over and over again stopped it at 20 passes (twice). (working, although, very stable while overclocked correctly with correct voltages, but might piss off customers who dislike manual OC).
S#11Solution: Kill power by PSU switch and turn back power on immidiedly after switching PSU back on makes BIOS temporary reset settings so you can at least get to BIOS or this idiotic UEFI.

P#12 Problem: Reseting BIOS to defaults also seems to have some issues, but not severe and perhaps some features actually needs multiple reboots to activate.
S#12 Solution: None, not needed.

Understanding issues & couple questions:

Q#01 Question: IGD share memory size:
- 0606 BIOS updates memory size to 512MB. What is the use of 512MB iGPU memory size while it cannot be used when the iGPU is enabled ?
- Where is iGPU 'disable' option ?
- What is the use of 'LucidLogix'/iGPU switch 'disabled' while iGPU memory size is 512MB? (is this the size allocated for dGPU from DRAM? Though according to any system since Vista dGPU allocated DRAM video memory size is always 1/2 of existing physical memory or does this some way affect XP?)

Q#02 Question: DMI<->DMI2 sharing:
- Why is total bandwidth of the board PCI-Express Rev. 2.0 x16 (16GB/s) of speed while intel specifications state that CPU alone has x16 (16GB/s) of bandwidth and PCH has own channel for x4 (4GB/s) of speed? (could be wrong of course and whole board shares same channel which again is marketed then incorrectly by all manufacturers).

Q#03 Question: Why is iGPU sharing PCI-Express bandwidth ? (We can skip this one, if it's connected through PCIe interface which would be extremely stupid by Intel again.)

Q#04 Question: Why the bandwidth between PCI-Express and CPU (while controller residents at CPU) can only be 6,3-6,8GB/s at x16 mode (all other devices on BIOS disabled / iGPU (options turned disable) + 1 dGPU only on board verified functioning at x16 rated speed, while same bandwidth x16 bandwidth at X58/LGA1366 at PCI-Express 2.0 x16 is 7,8GB/s in any occasion clean (Reference is to ASUS-P5E and ASUS P8Z68-V) ?

Q#05 Question: LucidLogix VIRTU software doesn't allow setup:
- #1 Display attached -> dGPU #1-PCIe-x16-Slot#1 (GPU is not in SLI or CrossfireX and will not be on SLI or CrossFireX as it's build strictly to computation uses).
- #2 Display attached -> dGPU #2-PCIe-x4-Slot#3 (GPU is not in SLI or CrossfireX and will not be on SLI or CrossFireX as it's build strictly to computation uses).
- #3 Display attached -> iGPU #3-PCIe-x16-Slot#0

Display(or if we go to split hair even an fake display would do, but testing with real physical displays) has to be attached on each device to produce an compatibility to see dGPU/iGPU memory usage and to code to it through either OpenCL/CUDA/DirectCompute as allocation 4-256MB block.

Problem: Usage of LucidLogix VIRTU software crashes straight and crashes any software execute attempt while directed with LucidLogix VIRTU.
(Understanding LucidLogix VIRTU documentation v1.2.105 -> There is an issue which should be fixed on multiple dGPU functionality with current software, but what remains now unclear is why doesn't this software support 2 dGPU setup as it's designed with on the board.)

(This also not includes tested LucidLogix VIRTU v1.2.106.17995)

Sorry for my bad English on some parts. 😮

-EDIT-

Numbered the Problems / Questions in order so it makes easier to process the topic through and correct issues / add solutions when/if possible.
1 REPLY 1

Retired
Not applicable
Maybe this?

Under BIOS 0606
P#13 Problem: CPU Multiplier is not working. See this post: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners-114....
S#13 Solution: Replace MOBO?

P#14 Problem: Graphics Card Asus GTX590 3GB latest drivers (280.26) will not install correctly under Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Original drivers from CD install but then Windows freezes and crashes after ~10 min.
S#14 Solution: Replace MOBO?

P.S. Originally I thought it was CPU problem and GTX590 problem. How wrong I was. I have replaced these two parts with brand new parts (Warranty!) and what a surprise I got when I tried them out! Exact same thing was happening until I tried P7P55D-E MOBO. Works perfect.

27 Sep 2011 - Well, I have refunded stupid Asus P8Z68-V mobo and replaced it with ASRock P67 Extreme 6 mobo. Now I can overclock to 4.4GHz very stable with air cooled heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper TX and temperatures under 85C under full stress. So all this time Asus mobo was faulty and completely sucked. It also was not working with GTX 590 video card. I don't recommend buying it.