cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overclocking failed on deluxe ii

mjohnson24
Level 9
i have the Asus x99 Deluxe ii Mobo, (4) 16gb sticks of Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz ram, Evga 1200w P2 PSU, Intel i7 6900k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0, Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2. I have recently just last night updated the PSU from an 850 watt to an EVGA 1200w P2. This one has the ability to use the 8 pin power and 4 pin power as the previous PSU didnt. Now that i got it all installed last night, for somereason when i booted it only said i had 32gbs of ram when i actually had 64. Got that to read correctly now but my ram is the 3200mhz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232328 ). Its on the QVL list for Asus so thats good. I think it has something to do with something being overclocked or something but i dont know what. it worked fine before with my 850watt.

I have XMP switch turned on on the Mobo and in the bios i think i switched it to auto or something to get it to actually boot normally. But bios reads it as 2133 not 3200 like it should i think.

Now i also have the Corsair h100i gtx cpu cooler and when i booted my PC it said something about fan speed to low or check fan speed so to fix that i had to go to bios and go to monitor tab and set "CPU Fan Speed" to ignore so i wouldnt get that error and it would boot as well.

Can someone help me with steps to what i need to do to fix these issues. Also if you know of any bios changes that needs to happen for M.2 samsung 950 pro evo that needs to be changed let me know. Its booting and working fine so far but not sure if theres anything that needs to be changed in the bios.
126 REPLIES 126

Nate152
All right great, now you can begin tweaking the voltages again. If you were at least able to boot to windows with your ram at 3200MHz it sounds like you are almost there. Don't be discouraged, this is the fun of learning how to tweak your system and once you got it, you got it.

Give us an update at any time and if you have any more questions just ask.

Nate152 wrote:
All right great, now you can begin tweaking the voltages again. If you were at least able to boot to windows with your ram at 3200MHz it sounds like you are almost there. Don't be discouraged, this is the fun of learning how to tweak your system and once you got it, you got it.

Give us an update at any time and if you have any more questions just ask.

well actually it wasnt able to boot at 3200mhz for the Ram. This link is what someone on my FB page sent me but havent tried it yet. Ill try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-x99-deluxe-ii-motherboard-review,24.html

Yea learning is fun but makes ya wanna pull ur hair out. I might be bald after this is over.

JustinThyme
Level 13
One thing to keep in mind with OCing is you are playing the silicon lottery. Watch your heat with HW monitor to see what its doing. If you find you are getting too hot its not always just the Vcore. Some chips will OC very well and others wont go much at all above stock. No rhyme or reason to it. Back in the day certain lots were prized as being excellent overclockers. Now its just the luck of the draw.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Nate152
LOL naaaa you won't go bald.

The article is more for overclocking the cpu and it doesn't show much for the ram but I do see they are using 32GB of 3200MHz cl14 ram and the cpu system agent voltage is at 1.368v.

I was telling you to start out low because I didn't want you to overvolt anything and by working up the voltage slowly you'll find just what it needs to be stable.

Let me see if I can find a guide on how to set up your RAM.

Nate152
All right

Here is a guide by Chino a member here on the forum it is for the rampage v extreme (X99) and 128GB 2666MHz which you can follow the same for your 64GB 3200MHz kit. You won't have to update the bios.

Let us know if this helps you.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84756-128GB-DDR4-Memory-Setup-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Here is a guide by Chino a member here on the forum it is for the rampage v extreme (X99) and 128GB 2666MHz which you can follow the same for your 64GB 3200MHz kit. You won't have to update the bios.

Let us know if this helps you.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84756-128GB-DDR4-Memory-Setup-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

I will definitely try that guide and see. Minus the Rampage Tweak option, which not sure what that does, ill try what he says. I know i did what that guru3d guide said do and got it to 4ghz and ran Aida64 for a few minutes and nothing happened. Computer didnt crash but as soon as i started tweaking the dram it didnt like it for some reason. i tweaked the CPU core voltage only and thats what took it to 4ghz but ram still said 2133.

I did try that ez tuning wizard and that didnt work either. Still got the overclock failed which is weird. If its suppose to help then it didnt help at all lol.

its an i7 3770 cpu and the video card is a gt 620 but computer says its got openGL 4.2 which the software was needing 3.2 or above.

ok so they wanted to do the expensive one so it will last a long time which for the specs of the build and what the software recommends id think this build would last for about 5 years atleast as far as performance.

The build is at the link below. All i need to do is add a CPU cooler that works for this i7 6800k and ram for the board selected in the list. since there wont be any overclocking dont need anything expensive just something that works. I ws thinking of kingston hyperx (2x8gb sticks) 2133mhz. but dont know if a fan cooler would be enough for this cpu. If so is there one that is good and has good ram clearance for the ram and board selected? And if the fan cooler will clear the side of the case in the list or is there a better cheap case than the one i have that allows for DVD roms drives?

http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/LifeChurch-HighEnd2.pdf

Nate152
Thank you for the update

The Tweak option at the Top of Dram Timing Control can help with compatibility or overclocking, since we are in a sense overclocking you could try Maximus Tweak Mode 2.

Maximus Tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility
Maixmus Tweak Mode 2 - Helps with overclocking

Were you able to get your ram to 3200MHz?

I would suggest letting everything at defaults and work with getting the ram stable, once you get the ram stable then overclock your cpu. With the ez tune and presets its hit or miss it's best to overclock your cpu manually, I'll take it you have the 6900k. 🙂

There are some settings for the ram in DiGi+ you can try too:

Dram current current capability - 130% - 140%
Dram power phase - Extreme

I've never gone over 1.30v with the cpu system agent voltage but apparently 1.368v is safe, I've had my HyperX Predator Dram voltage to 1.50v which is safe.

You could try the Dram voltage at 1.40v - 1.45v then if it still doesn't want to go raise the cpu vccio and cpu system agent voltages, 1.368v is pretty high for the cpu system agent voltage and they're only using 32GB 3200MHz cl 14, I'm pretty sure the cpu system agent voltage only goes to 1.40v and I wouldn't take it there.

So after seeing your overclocking article you could try the Dram voltage at 1.40v - 1.45v then if needed try the cpu system agent voltage 1.25v - 1.30v - 1.35v - 1.368v. You can fine tune it in .01v increments when you get it to boot.

How does this work ?

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you for the update

The Tweak option at the Top of Dram Timing Control can help with compatibility or overclocking, since we are in a sense overclocking you could try Maximus Tweak Mode 2.

Maximus Tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility
Maixmus Tweak Mode 2 - Helps with overclocking

Were you able to get your ram to 3200MHz?

I would suggest letting everything at defaults and work with getting the ram stable, once you get the ram stable then overclock your cpu. With the ez tune and presets its hit or miss it's best to overclock your cpu manually, I'll take it you have the 6900k. 🙂

There are some settings for the ram in DiGi+ you can try too:

Dram current current capability - 130% - 140%
Dram power phase - Extreme

I've never gone over 1.30v with the cpu system agent voltage but apparently 1.368v is safe, I've had my HyperX Predator Dram voltage to 1.50v which is safe.

You could try the Dram voltage at 1.40v - 1.45v then if it still doesn't want to go raise the cpu vccio and cpu system agent voltages, 1.368v is pretty high for the cpu system agent voltage and they're only using 32GB 3200MHz cl 14, I'm pretty sure the cpu system agent voltage only goes to 1.40v and I wouldn't take it there.

So after seeing your overclocking article you could try the Dram voltage at 1.40v - 1.45v then if needed try the cpu system agent voltage 1.25v - 1.30v - 1.35v - 1.368v. You can fine tune it in .01v increments when you get it to boot.

How does this work ?

Ill have to try that way possibly tonight and see what i can find. Is that AI suite program that comes with Asus a good program to use to overclock things instead of going into bios? Ive never really used that program. I see Digi in it but dont know much about it all. I know i do got a friend that may can help me on sunday with it all and show me in person but i may try what u mentioned above tonight if i got time or something.

But yea i got the 6900k. Was thinking of the 6950 cause my system is geared more towards 3d modeling and animation but wanted it to do gaming some as well but the 6950 just couldnt justify the $600 more price tag for only 4 more cores and just a slight hike in performance compared to my 6900k.