Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSR Lock setting not respected TUF X299 Mark1 v. 3006

nr_ripper
Level 7
Motherboard model: ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1
UEFI Version: 3006
CPU: Intel i9-7920X
Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: 4x16 GB (64 GB)
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT 8G
SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: NVMe Samsung 950 Pro, NVMe Samsung 970 Pro, Intel 520 SSD, Some slow laptop 5400 rpm drive
PSU: EVGA 850W Platinum
USB Devices (model/version number):
Monitor: DELL U2518H
CPU Cooler: Custom EKWB watercooling loop, GPU watercooled too.
PC CASE: Some fractal design
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, Activated
Drivers Installed (include version): Latest as of writing.
Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: Nope
System Overclocked (provide details)? Yes. 4.6 GHz all cores. Pretty stable at 1.235V.

Issue:

After flashing the 3006 firmware, loading defaults, and setting it up I had noticed an issue with the MSR Lock setting on CPU Management in the UEFI config. Toggled the setting both on/off, but the end result is that MSR Lock is always turned on (block enabled). In short - even if the setting says disabled, the MSR lock is actually enabled.

For my use case, I need the MSR Lock to be disabled. Fortunately, the board has UEFI Flashback to revert to the older version (Version 1902) which properly reacts to this setting being toggled. I have an UEFI tool which checks the status of MSR lock which I used to confirm that the setting really has no effect on the MSR lock state of the CPU and that may lead to the conclusion that the firmware has a bug regarding this setting.

Can you provide instructions how to disable MSR Lock on this board when running the 3006 version of the firmware? If this is a bug in this specific version of the firmware is there a timeframe we can expect the fix for this specific board?

Thanks,
Bruno
0 REPLIES 0