cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIVE-Z will not POST when LN2 switch is in default "ON" postion.

Convicted1
Level 7
Hey guys...

Looking for a little input on my board here.

Asus Maximus Extreme - Z.

The problem I'm having is fairly simple....

When the LN2 switch is in the "On" position (which is default)... The board will not POST.

When it's in the "Off" position... It'll POST just fine.

I've tried several different BIOS revisions, different CPU's... Etc. Nothing makes a difference.

Is this something I should go ahead and RMA? Or is there something else I should try?

Thanks in advance for any input!

-David
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello and welcome

Do you have any overclock set on your board?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

No... Not most of the time. This board runs at stock 2600K clocks 99% of the time.

The only time I actually OC anything is when I'm benching.

That LN2 button can be confusing sometimes. I am still not sure what it really does but when it is enabled it can be indeed prevent your system from booting unless it is not under extreme cooling condition with at least single stage compressor cooling.
this behaviour is "caused by design" so just turn it off and you are fine.

The Z-boards should come with the jumper set to "off" that might be better. I usually don't even use it when benching cold on SandyBridge as it gains me nothing. It was more helpfull with Gulftown on RIIIE/BE 😉
now benching on: LN2 | 3770K | Maximus V Extreme | 2x GTX 580 Matrix Platinum | SSD | Cooler Master 1500W
Proud to be ASUS PowerUser!

OK...

Well I've finally got a monster 2600K to test with, so this thing will finally be going cold soon.

I guess if it still doesn't POST when under LN2 I'll have to RMA it.

Just seems odd that it wouldn't work at all in the "Default" location.

Wouldn't mind hearing the thoughts of somebody from ROG on this....

HiVizMan
Level 40
What particularly are you wanting to have clarification on?

Your board should boot with the switch enabled or disabled regardless of you being sub-zero or not.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OK then... Guess I need to RMA it then... Cause it hasnt booted with LN2 Switch "on" since I bought it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah mate that is just not good. RMA and get one that works perfectly.

I had the same thing happen with my board, wired it up, and power seemed to get to everything (fans went on case, cpu, and vid card) but there was no video, and no post.

Assuming I did something wrong, I had a friend get a second set of eyes on it, and after a couple of hours of testing and scratching our heads, he said: "what's this switch?" which led to reading and eventually "try turning it off".

Then it booted up.

CPU: I7 2600 3.4ghz LGA1155 (sandy-bridge)
Vid: EVGA GTX 560Ti
Power: corsair 750w (modular)
Mem: 16g GSKill Ripjaw (4x4g)
Board: Maximus IV Extreme-z

I'd be interested to see if the RMA solves the problem outright.