I7 3770K @4.6 H100i cooling
680 gtx SLI
Corsair AX 1200
Win 7 Ultimate
16 Gig ram 1600 (2x 8gig)
Sandisk extreme (550 read 530 write) 256gig plugged into the intel sata6 port
Asus Xonar D2X
Coolermaster HAF-X

The problem is the boot time. It sits in the press del or f2 to enter the bios for a long time around 20 -30 seconds then the actual boot into windows seems to take a long time as well again around 30 - 50 seconds.

My old system with an old core i7 @ 4gig and a sata 2 would boot up in under 30 seconds from pressing the power button.

I have none of the extras plugged in like wifi or bluetooth.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

John
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers, John.

When it comes to long boot problems, the first thing I'd check is your connections. Please verify that everything is properly connected. Each cable is connected to the correct header and in the right position. Sometimes a loose cable or a half connected cable can cause this problem.

Also, can you please go into the BIOS and see which version the motherboard is running?

Report back with your findings.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would look primarily at the USB devices that you might have had connected for those long post episodes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi guys and thanks for the reply's. Sorry for the delay in replying. Very busy weekend. I will check the bios tonight and report back.

I will also take a look at the USB connections I have connected. I can only think of my keyboard and mouse off the top of my head. Will also double check all my connections again.

Many thanks

John

I have checked everything to make sure it is all connected properly. My USB devices are my logitech keyboard and mouse. I also have a logitech webcam. The other 2 usb wires connected are only for charging my 3d glasses.

My bios version is 1604 x64

One thing that is odd is the system and bios is telling me one of my HD's is on the way out. The odd part is it is saying it is 126C! It is obviously not so might just be a faulty sensor. I have just moved all the contents to a new 3TB HD just to be safe. The failing drive is in one of my fast plugin ports at the front of the case. I did take it out to see if it made any difference it did not.

Any further advice would be most welcome.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That make sense, and a hard drive giving messed up readings will cause he delay. If you pull the hard drive to test the post times are they better?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well it seems that there was two problems. The hard drive throwing up weird readings was one. It also seems it does not like the hot drive plug in at the front of the case. Took both HD's out of there and boom fast boot ups.

It is very odd that it does not like those ports being used. It could well be that one of the plugs is damaged. I will try the old (possibly faulty) HD in another computer to see.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. Time to move the cpu upto 5ghz now 😉

John

feniks
Level 11
I can confirm that certain bad (not literally faulty) drives can cause slow boot behavior. had this problem whenever using WD Caviar Green drives, issue goes away without it, so I swapped it for a different model and no more trouble.
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle