cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact video lag / choppy

celf1
Level 7
Just finished building my HTPC for the living room with the following specification:

• Asus Maximus VI Impact MB
  • Intel i7 4770k processor
  • GeForce GTX 760 Graphics card
  • Corsair 750W PSU
  • 16GB RAM

It plays all the games I throw at it without any issues, but it seems to struggle with videos (local files, Blu-rays or on-line content). The sound is OK, but the video is choppy and Blu-rays unwatchable. I have changed the 'Power Options' to run the High performance plan, installed all the latest drivers including flashing the BIOS. I have also removed the dedicated graphics card and tried the on board HDMI but without any change to the video quality.

Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you disable the onboard/CPU graphics in the bios?
What monitor are you using and at what resolution?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Yes, the on-board graphics is disabled while the dedicated GeForce is in. The PC is connected to my living room TV (40 inch Samsung @ 1920 x 1080p). I've hooked it up to my old monitor, but same result.

Thanks

NemesisChild
Level 12
Did you try a different Nvidia driver and do a "clean" install?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

celf1
Level 7
Yes, I have tried a clean install of the drivers and a clean install of Windows 8.1. I think it's a motherboard issue because the same problem persists when using the on-board hdmi and the Nvidia graphics card removed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Tokens210
Level 10
In nvidia make sure you change some options in the 3d/management, you can set the monitor to single display as by default its set to multi monitor

I also personally set the quality and performance more toward performance since quality has been getting increase on the media itself

Is it only when you play media thru disks, cause if that's the case the optical drive and what your using to play the video may be the culprit and not the PC itself, since the drive actually opens blurays you can assume the certificates weren't removed so that's good

Also with a new PC you shouldn't have needed any codecs, if you installed any that's possibly the issue as well

Typically all a newer machine needs is its settings adjusted and VLC Media player, regular if using 32 bit and the 64 bit version if that's what OS you have, I had choppy video when I accidentally installed the 32 bit version on my 64 machine
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

celf1
Level 7
Ok. I have changed the Nvidia settings as you described: single display & perfer maximum performace but without any luck.
Almost all videos (local mkv, dvds/blu-ray or YouTube) are laggy, not just disks.
I have vlc x64 installed and have also tried PowerDVD, MPC-HC, xbmc and plex. All resulting in a choppy playback. I haven't installed any other codecs either 😞 It usually happens when the camera is panning or with amy sudden movements.
Thanks for your help!

celf1
Level 7
Sorry to be a pain, but has anyone else got any ideas with this? I have tried every suggestion without any luck. Video playback is still choppy through the graphics card or the on board hdmi (with graphics card removed).

Tokens210
Level 10
When u installed any of the players besides the vlc, did it cause you to install any Codec packs?

Codec packs ruin PCs, newer PCs don't need them and it causes extra layers of work for no reason

Only thought I can come up with

With newer PCs graphics driver and vlc and your PC will play just about every single file
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

celf1
Level 7
I don't remember installing any additional codecs but can't guarantee that I haven't. So, I'm currently reinstalling Windows... I'll let you know how it goes.