cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Gene Questions

zBoard
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I building my first pc and thinking about getting the ASUS Maximus VI Gene as the mother board, the other one I'm looking at is the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5, I was wondering I could get some input on how the Gene is. Also if I want to add wifi/bluetooth to the Gene what should i use?

I'll be using a i7 4770k
EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ACX
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gig
my case is the corsair 350D
PSU (is still between the corsair AX760 and SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W

If you need anymore info tell me

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Think you have a pretty good set up, not sure where you are going to fit those add on cards on a mATX board but I am sure you have that worked out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

CinoMax
Level 7
Gene has bluetooth 4.0 and Wifi 802.11ac come standard.
CPU: Intel i7 4770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked ACX
RAM: Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 9-9-9-27 1866mhz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 White
PSU: Seasonic X series 1250w
SSD: Crucial M500 460GB
HDD: 4X 1TB Seagate Constellation RAID10
Cooling Solution: Swiftech H320 ( to be expanded)

CinoMax wrote:
Gene has bluetooth 4.0 and Wifi 802.11ac come standard.

Neither WiFi nor Bluetooth are included with the Maximus VI Gene.

Praz wrote:
Neither WiFi nor Bluetooth are included with the Maximus VI Gene.

Ah I see. So mPCIe Combo II in Gene doesn't include 802.11ac and bluetooth 4.0. I thought all mPCIe Combo IIs are the same.
CPU: Intel i7 4770K
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked ACX
RAM: Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 9-9-9-27 1866mhz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 White
PSU: Seasonic X series 1250w
SSD: Crucial M500 460GB
HDD: 4X 1TB Seagate Constellation RAID10
Cooling Solution: Swiftech H320 ( to be expanded)

zBoard
Level 7
so any advice on the wifi 😛

Topless_Stang
Level 7
Hey zBoard. I'm glad I read your post. I created an account just to ask the same thing! I searched here a bit and it seems as though the Maximus V Gene owners settled on the Intel Centrino 6235. It's a dual band mPCI-e card that does 4.0 Bluetooth. I've been searching to see any new info on compatible 802.11ac cards, but there is none yet. I was all set to get the Formula VI, but for my build (2x SLI) there is not that much I would gain by getting the Formula. From what I can see the Gene is a great board and if you're not looking to have 3+ GPUs and crazy overclocking then the Gene is a great fit! Also, Asus also sells the mPCI-e combo card with a wifi card included in their store. I believe it's the one that was included with the Maximus V boards.

Asus Store
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5548

Intel Centrino 6235
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QXLIWI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Currently Piecing Together New Build
CPU: Intel i5 4760K
GPU: 2x GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD GTX 760 4GB
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 19200MHz
Motherboard: waiting for Newegg to restock the Maximus VI Formula!
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RS720
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB
HDD: Undecided
Cooling Solution: Corsair H110

Topless_Stang
Level 7
Hey zBoard. I'm glad I read your post. I created an account just to ask the same thing! I searched here a bit and it seems as though the Maximus V Gene owners settled on the Intel Centrino 6235. It's a dual band mPCI-e card that does 4.0 Bluetooth. I've been searching to see any new info on compatible 802.11ac cards, but there is none yet. I was all set to get the Formula VI, but for my build (2x SLI) there is not that much I would gain by getting the Formula. From what I can see the Gene is a great board and if you're not looking to have 3+ GPUs and crazy overclocking then the Gene is a great fit! Also, Asus also sells the mPCI-e combo card with a wifi card included in their store. I believe it's the one that was included with the Maximus V boards.

Asus Store

Intel Centrino 6235
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QXLIWI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you so much!!!!

Topless_Stang
Level 7

Asus Store

Intel Centrino 6235