cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene - Static Coming from all Audio Outs, including USB

sgtscrubnoob
Level 7
I'm having this weird problem where constant static is emitted from my speakers and headphones. This happens through the front headphone jack on my case, rear audio outs (albeit occasionally), and all usb ports. Playing music or any audio doesn't affect this problem, the static is ever-present regardless of what audio is playing. It only starts making noise once windows boots up, but the audio is completely silent with no buzzing or whatever while the BIOS is starting up.
Oddly, the graphics affect this problem more than anything. Whenever I use Source Filmmaker in particular, the static gets amplified and changes sounds whenever I make an action within the application.
I've already installed all the latest drivers for everything in my pc, but unfortunately that solved nothing.

my desktop:
Running windows 7 64-bit

motherboard - Asus Maximus V Gene
case - raidmax aolus
graphics card - Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448
cpu cooler - Antec Kuhler 620
PSU - OCZ ModXstream pro, 700W
CPU - Intel i7 3770K
RAM - Corsair Vengeance, DDR3 1600Mhz (16GB with 4 sticks @ 4GB each)

Additionally - and I don't think this means anything - there's an orange light next to the USB 3 connector near the front of the motherboard that keeps blinking intermittently, and the led error code thing constantly says AO on it. I'm just curious to know why those two things are happening or if they're part of this whole static problem.

here's a video I recorded describing/demonstrating the problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8R_34-wJNI
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
A0 is just perfect and is the correct Q-Code for a system in OS.

I suspect the orange light might be the LAN port.

Please remove your motherboard from the case and use your Motherboard box as a test bench. Non-conductive surface. And see if the static is present when the board is out of the case. Use bare minimum hardware one hard drive, VGA and speakers only.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I don't have the necessary cables/adaptors to test this without having to use my graphics card for video (at the moment, anyways), but I took everything out of the case and tested it on top of the motherboard box.
It still made the buzzing noise through all audio outs 😞

What I had connected:
SSD
power supply
ram
cpu cooler
graphics card
front case usb cable
front case hd audio cable

I can try this again without the graphics card, but I'll need to go get an hdmi cable first.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No leave the graphic card that is fine.

What you can do for me is remove the case headers and any cables that go into your case please.

I wonder if the case is causing the static.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

John_Drake
Level 7
If you go into your audio mixer are any of the inputs turned on / faded up? I'm thinking maybe it's noise from the microphone input or the line level input getting fed back into your output.

I disconnected the cables leading to the case, and I also moved the power supply out of there too. Absolutely nothing is touching the case right now.
still having wonky static noise...

John Drake wrote:
If you go into your audio mixer are any of the inputs turned on / faded up? I'm thinking maybe it's noise from the microphone input or the line level input getting fed back into your output.

windows doesn't recognize anything as an input (because there's nothing plugged in as one) so it won't bother letting me check those values.

ugh, this is such a problem... being that I do audio work more than anything on my computer(s) this is seriously frustrating not being able to use USB audio outs/soundcards or a good pair of headphones without hearing static every time it gets quiet.

Is it possible that this is a driver/software issue rather than hardware? Or could the hardware still be causing some sort of electrical interference even though it's all outside the case?

I literally have the same problem as you but I have a Maximus V Formula, except I hear a static/hissing sound when in bios and when windows loads it stops. Occationally I hear hissing/static when playing games or something graphically intensive.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Based on your description I would suggest you start the RMA process.

HiVizMan wrote:
Based on your description I would suggest you start the RMA process.

thank god I ordered this thing from amazon, returned and replaced with no questions asked, no hassle at all. God I love those guys...

okay, hopefully this solves this issue. If not I'll be sure to report back once I get the replacement mobo installed