cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Iv Hero Boot issue

killaklik
Level 7
Hi all first post so be gentle and all ,

I've just bought this board and its been overclocked as standard. When I initially boot it powers up starts to go through the system check cycle and then switches back off, the board then powers up again and completes boot.

Can anyone confirm if this is Normal behaviour ?

When it does then boot after the above it states overclocking has failed when presented with the bios screen ( which seems to be the reason why the system failed and had to restart possibly due to the OC profile) Can anyone confirm this ?

I've tried searching the internet looking for some solutions or suggestions however I've not been able to get a definitive response and it seems a lot of trollers simply jump on a try this and that bandwagon. The closest I've got to what could be a plausible answer is the following, quote by an asus staff member

'Memory training is performed during pre-POST. As memory stability is reliant on the right level of VCCSA and IO-D, any instability during the training process will extend POST time because the IMC will re-attempt to train the DIMMs if they are not fully stable (if they continue to be unstable the board will halt with a memory training or IMC related error code). "

Now the system came pre-overclcocked and part of the support they offer states I cannot alter any bios settings which limits the try this try that option and they don't give specifics about the OC . Maybe the above is not actually related to my problem.
but like I said its the closest I can get. So It would be great if I could get an official response to what is actually causing the system to fail Overclocking.

Other symptoms seem to be lack of powering up when hitting the start button, sometimes taking a few times to actually attempt to Post.

Any assistance / advice would be appreciated.
Master of No-Can-Do

Z77 Edge Core i7 3770K
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
CORS 2x4GB VENG PRO 2133 BLACK
2GB EVGA GTX770 SC +ACX Cooler
RM750W GOLD CP-9020055-UK
4 REPLIES 4

IM2L844
Level 12
First run Memtest86+. I'm afraid you're going to have to get the vendor involved no matter what though.

eruntalon
Level 7
I have a similar symptom to the OP with my Maximus VI Hero, but this occurs after increasing and saving a new clock ratio when overclocking over 4.2ghz, however my system does boot and runs as per normal afterwards.

This is a run down of what occurs for me:
- Boot and enter UEFI
- adjust core clock ratio from eg. x 42 to x 43 BCLK of 100
- Save and exit UEFI
- System will then attempt to boot into Windows, then powers off, then powers back on
- System will continue to boot as normal into Windows with the new frequency

I find it disconcerting when the system has to turn off to overclock. I am, thus far not getting any errors regarding overclocking.

eruntalon wrote:
I have a similar symptom to the OP with my Maximus VI Hero, but this occurs after increasing and saving a new clock ratio when overclocking over 4.2ghz, however my system does boot and runs as per normal afterwards.

This is a run down of what occurs for me:
- Boot and enter UEFI
- adjust core clock ratio from eg. x 42 to x 43 BCLK of 100
- Save and exit UEFI
- System will then attempt to boot into Windows, then powers off, then powers back on
- System will continue to boot as normal into Windows with the new frequency

I find it disconcerting when the system has to turn off to overclock. I am, thus far not getting any errors regarding overclocking.

This is completely normal behavior after a major bios change has been saved.

To the OP, what overclock are you attempting? And did you increase the CPU voltage along with the frequency increase?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
This is completely normal behavior after a major bios change has been saved.

To the OP, what overclock are you attempting? And did you increase the CPU voltage along with the frequency increase?

From what i have seen the system only shuts off if the volt or ratio is set lower then what it was. Every time it went higher the system usually just soft reset.
4770k | Asus Hero | G.Skill Trident 2400 32gb | Samsung 840 pro 256gb
NZXT Kraken x60 | Asus GTX780 Direct CU ii OC | Razer tiamat 7.1
Razer Imperator | Razer Nostromo | Antec High current pro 850
Thermaltake Xaser Vi | Windows 8.1 64bit