cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z - VCCSA / VCCIO GOT THE SAME VALUE ?!

IronAge
Level 7
I bought the GENE-Z and sold my P8P67 Pro.

I think there is a major mistake or design flaw in the Bios Setup of the GENE-Z.

VCCSA and VCCIO got no sperate settings. When i set VCCIO VCCSA gets the same value.

VCCIO value is way higher than VCCSA and it goes over Intel recommendations for VCCSA ...

Please bring up a bios fix for this ASAP.

We need to be able to enter different values for VCCSA and VCCIO.
30 REPLIES 30

Raja
Level 13
IronAge wrote:
I bought the GENE-Z and sold my P8P67 Pro.

I think there is a major mistake or design flaw in the Bios Setup of the GENE-Z.

VCCSA and VCCIO got no sperate settings. When i set VCCIO VCCSA gets the same value.

VCCIO value is way higher than VCCSA and it goes over Intel recommendations for VCCSA ...

Please bring up a bios fix for this ASAP.

We need to be able to enter different values for VCCSA and VCCIO.

The rails are tied, so this is not something that will change with a BIOS update. This is the way it is done on all Z68 chipset boards as far as I am aware; and additional rail is added for iGPU voltage and VCCIO and VCCSA become tied to the same buck controller.

-Raja

Thanks for the detailed reply - so it is not going to be fixed by a bios update ?!

Then i am sorry to say that - but i will return the board to the dealer since this is a no go for me.

I have had more 6 different 1155 boards so far and i don't like the idea of setting VCCSA +0,125 over the regular value.

I have never needed more than 0.95 to get over 5GHz with DDR3-1866-2133.

IronAge wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply - so it is not going to be fixed by a bios update ?!

Then i am sorry to say that - but i will return the board to the dealer since this is a no go for me.

I have had more 6 different 1155 boards so far and i don't like the idea of setting VCCSA +0,125 over the regular value.

I have never needed more than 0.95 to get over 5GHz with DDR3-1866-2133.

VCCIO is the voltage that is critical for memory clocking. As I said both rails are tied to the same buck controller, so nothing to do with BIOS.

I should add that it is rather odd that you are happy running your CPU at 5GHz but are concerned about VCCSA and Intel specifications - the logic does not fit.

-Raja

IronAge
Level 7
I ran it 5 Ghz on the ASUS P8P67 Pro. Actually this board got even MORE problems:

System Hangs when a programm tries to read out the motherboard sensors (AIDA64), AI SUITE II installer crashes, i have not got it stable @ 4.5 at all.

BLUE SCREENS - haven't got a SINGLE one on the P8P67 Pro ... to be continued ...

I have had 14 i5 2500k so far so i certainly know how to overclock Sandy Bridge and get it stable.

Now looking forward to EVGA 1155 SLI ... thanks for trying to help - i know it is not your fault.

Raja
Level 13
I've had my board up to 5.7GHz for benching and 4.9GHZ stable using a Corsair H70 (limited by temps), and found it just as easy as the P67 MIVE. Not sure what is wrong with your system.

Quick and easy results :

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2554-TEST-ASUS-MAXIMUS-IV-GENE-Z&p=17590&viewfull=1#pos...

-Raja

Which Bios you have been using ? I got the latest one from the ASUS ftp in Taiwan.

Maybe i will give it another try tomorrow and reinstall windows.

Thanks

Raja
Level 13
0205 and 0402, can hit those clocks with either.

Raja have you read the electrical specification for Intel Sandy Bridge ?

The Max Voltage for VCCSA has been specified by intel to 0.971.

You can read that from table 7-6 in Intel Document Number 324641-001
(2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family Desktop Datasheet Volume 1)

So your board is per default running my CPU way over Intel electrical specification.

Will ASUS provide me a new CPU when your Board fries it by running it out of specification by default and there is no way to change that ?

IronAge wrote:
Raja have you read the electrical specification for Intel Sandy Bridge ?

The Max Voltage for VCCSA has been specified by intel to 0.971.

You can read that from table 7-6 in Intel Document Number 324641-001
(2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Family Desktop Datasheet Volume 1)

So your board is per default running my CPU way over Intel electrical specification.

Will ASUS provide me a new CPU when your Board fries it by running it out of specification by default and there is no way to change that ?

If you are overclocking your CPU you are already outside Intel specification. You do realise the Intel voltage specifications are relative to current and based upon stock operating frequency only right? You are running your CPU at 5GHz on boards - that is outside specification right there.

-Raja