cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero VI AI Suite III 4-Way Optimization and Adaptive Power/Clockspeed Issues

socaldj
Level 7
So I have to start off with you guys really put a lot into this board, I'm VERY impressed and the level of detail is amazing! I'm looking forward to throwing this new system through the ringer this weekend and see where I end up.

Maybe it's because things have changed quite a bit since I was working with my last board/cpu (P55/i860) but I'm having some issues with the new setup and since well there's not a ton of information out there just yet that I could find in forums I wanted to ask you guys.

So I installed the system this weekend, 4770k Maximus Hero VI. But I didn't have the right bracket for the water block so I just installed the stock intel heatsink. I got everything up and running and all was good. The CPU throttled as needed to slower speeds/voltages and it helped keep things cool while I waited for the waterblock.

So last night I installed the water loop and let it run, this morning I finished installing everything and booted it back up.

The problem is that the CPU no longer throttled down. It just keeps chugging along at 3.5 or 3.9 whatever it's set at, even with the 'adaptive' settings checked in CPU Core Voltage/Cache Voltage under TPU in the AI Suite III and Active Frequency mode on and CPU Power Phase control set to optimized.

I want to be able to have the system run these enhanced states when possible since it gets pretty hot where I live and in my office during summer.

Another thing I noticed was that in the video you guys posted on using the 4-Way Optimization there was a process the software/board used to overclock the system. When I try to run the optimization process, all it does is allow me to set to 4.2/4.4/4.6 there is no dynamic options. I was really looking forward to using these two features in conjunction to help with a good overclock that adjusts due to circumstances or by selecting the different profiles.

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Screenshots of the issues are attached!

i7-4470k Batch#: L312B332
4.5GHZ @ 1.2 vcore 24/7 Gaming
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz
EK Supremacy CSQ, EK Mosfet, & EK Chipset blocks
Dual Radiators 240mm and 360mm
EVGA SC 770 GTX - Koolance waterblock
Monsoon S2 Premium D5 Reservoir
39 REPLIES 39

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Let me recap what you want from the system.

1 You want all the Intel EIST and C states enabled
2 You want your OC to be ???GHz depending on cooling.
3 Dynamic overclocking to find your maximum OC.

If I have those all correct we can move on.

First of all I do not like to use AIsuite for anything. I remove it and use third party software to monitor my system if I feel I need to monitor my system. Now AIsuite works for some people and they are happy with it. I do not like it personally:)

So what I do is all my OC'ing via the BIOS. If you are happy with the BIOS route let me know and I will walk you through it.

I will put a board on the test bench and set up the system as per your images above.

Please can you tell me what your OS power plan is set at, and if you have made any, and I do mean ANY changes in BIOS at all. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hello I'm in the same situation, having the asus Maximus Hero VI and the 4770k, so first i tried the ai suite III but the system only give me 4.2 ghz,So i went into the bios and tried 4.6 Ghz starting with 1.2000 v and blue screen, then again tried with 1.250v and finally with 1.275 v and again
blue screen, so i was thinking that my i7 4770 k is not one of the best out there but then i went to a few websites like this one http://forums.vortez.net/reviews/5266-asus-maximus-vi-hero-review.html. They were only capable of getting to 4.6 ghz at 1.330 v.

My setup is Asus Maximus VI Hero, intel core i 7 4770 k, Kingstong Beast at 2133, Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler, Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 750 Watt Power Supply , case Corsair Graphite Series Steel Silver 600T Mid-Tower, and two Evga 670 ftw 2 g in sli. I want to be able to reach 4.6 ghz stable in this config any help would be great.

Thanks and regards..... sorry about my english

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Let me recap what you want from the system.

1 You want all the Intel EIST and C states enabled
2 You want your OC to be ???GHz depending on cooling.
3 Dynamic overclocking to find your maximum OC.

If I have those all correct we can move on.

First of all I do not like to use AIsuite for anything. I remove it and use third party software to monitor my system if I feel I need to monitor my system. Now AIsuite works for some people and they are happy with it. I do not like it personally:)

So what I do is all my OC'ing via the BIOS. If you are happy with the BIOS route let me know and I will walk you through it.

I will put a board on the test bench and set up the system as per your images above.

Please can you tell me what your OS power plan is set at, and if you have made any, and I do mean ANY changes in BIOS at all. 🙂

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling and did not have access to the forum.

Yes you are correct. I want to be able to utilize the power saving states although I understand that this is not the best for stability in am OC, I've always used a static setting myself.

I'm more than happy to use the BIOS to OC, always have. I just wanted to try and utilize the new software.

Target OC is 4.5. I did some inital testing at 1.2 and it should be close to stable as I was able to get a few rounds of OCCT in without it crashing.

As for BIOS settings, I had completely restored to Optimized Defaults.

I can post more detail when I get back home later today.
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz

socaldj wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling and did not have access to the forum.

Yes you are correct. I want to be able to utilize the power saving states although I understand that this is not the best for stability in am OC, I've always used a static setting myself.

I'm more than happy to use the BIOS to OC, always have. I just wanted to try and utilize the new software.

Target OC is 4.5. I did some inital testing at 1.2 and it should be close to stable as I was able to get a few rounds of OCCT in without it crashing.

As for BIOS settings, I had completely restored to Optimized Defaults.

I can post more detail when I get back home later today.

Ok so I think I added in a bit more testing notes in the reply to Raja's post.

I tied 4.5 @ 1.2v set in BIOS, preliminary stable. 4.6 @ 1.25v preliminary stable again set in BIOS :cool:. 4.7 needed 1.3+ and it would boot fine, but any attempt at stability testing gave me a BSOD. I didn't go past 1.3 at this point.

I didn't make any other changes in the bios for those overclocks. All I did was change it to manual overclocking, pop the vCore to 1.2v/1.25v/1.3v and the multiplier up to 45/46/47. Nothing extreme just some testing to see where I could go.

Temp monitoring was another story. So I've been using Speedfan FOREVER as it plugs into a UI via Rainmeter on my desktop (I'll eventually be able to monitor it somewhat closer by changing the offset value in the settings once I find the right ones). Those temps are so inaccurate though it's not funny, it was giving me temps of around 18c idle...and in the 30's for load.

So i turned to the ASUS AI Suite thinking to myself that this was more accurate since, it was designed by the mobo manufacturer. Those temps were about 32c idle to 62 full load @ 1.25v.

Lastly I had OCCT giving me temp readouts, those were even HIGHER than the Asus ones, idle 42c and max load @ 1.25v ran from 75c to 80c.

This is on a custom water loop with double 120mm fan radiator and 1/2" tubing with a D-Tek v2 waterblock. It's on the same loop as my videocard so that does add some extra heat into the loop before it runs to the reservoir and eventually into the radiator before heading back to the CPU block. Ambient temps in my room can be around 29c to 32c (Yes it's hot and sucks...:mad:)

I'd love to hear any feedback about the overclock or some quick tips before I dive headfirst into this weekend! 😄
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz

don't feel bad guys, my brand new 4770K isnt even stable using the 4.6 preset in the 4 way optimization on a Maximus VI Extreme!

I have a feeling it's because i have 32GB of Ram running at 2400mhz. I tried lowering the ram to 1600mhz thinking i could get the preset to work flawlessly but it still locked up. I'm thinking either overclock is heavily limited by the amount of ram someone has installed, or i just have a crap chip.

since i'm within 30 days of purchase i'm gonna exchange the chip, hopefully this will at least let me get 4.6ghz.

/rant

I am really dissapointed to read RAJ's post about the overclock tuning only being avaiable on channel boards. That is retarded. Do you guys have to have some sort of hardware for this tuning raj? if not, couldn't it theoretically run on the ROG Boards?

Hell i know that's the case with RAM DISK, that program works on my X58 Computer, i7 920!!! haha.

jasonelmore wrote:
I tried lowering the ram to 1600mhz thinking i could get the preset to work flawlessly but it still locked up. I'm thinking either overclock is heavily limited by the amount of ram someone has installed, or i just have a crap chip.

Haswell overclocking is limited by the the amount of ram installed and its speed. This limit varies depending on CPU. 4.6GHz stable with reasonable voltage requires an above average processor.

Tarien
Level 7
I'm also curious as what happened to the dynamic overclocking from the presentation videos and why its back to the old "Level Up" system. I guess it might be doing its thing in the background and testing out the settings but it kind of feels like its just using 3 presets as it just reboots and moves on to EPU immediately which is a pretty fast stability test. 😛

Raja
Level 13
We have put a lot of work into the auto tuning utility. Do not underestimate how good it is for finding a base to work away from. The ceiling VID in that utility has been capped by us to take AVX routines into account. The application will fail at the point where your system falls over running the Prime derivative at the ceiling voltage.

We can make the process of the testing longer but then we get complaints that people think it takes too long (n magic bullet). I have some ideas for future directions, but it works as a good base to start tuning a system for now.

Use it as a starting point, and then tune manually if you wish.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
We have put a lot of work into the auto tuning utility. Do not underestimate how good it is for finding a base to work away from. The ceiling VID in that utility has been capped by us to take AVX routines into account. The application will fail at the point where your system falls over running the Prime derivative at the ceiling voltage.

We can make the process of the testing longer but then we get complaints that people think it takes too long (n magic bullet). I have some ideas for future directions, but it works as a good base to start tuning a system for now.

Use it as a starting point, and then tune manually if you wish.

@Raja

I agree and what I saw in the video of the testing process and all of the other features were added in that's exactly what I planned to use the utility for, finding a jumping off point AND also using it's dynamic profile when it get's to be 100+ during the summer here.

The problem is the utility in the video shows the program dynamically overclocking the system after you select either the 'short' or 'long' version of the auto overclock. In the ROG version of the app, it seems as though the only option is the level up 4.2/4.4/4.6 and nothing else...there is not testing of 2 cores at a time as demonstrated, no BSOD as a result. You just select the 4.6 and it reboots the PC. When it gets back in it just continues on with the process going into the fan optimization and then into the EPU/DIGI+ optimizations. Nothing seems to be done with the TPU at all. Maybe this is an issue with the ROG version and the 'Standard' AI Suite has implemented this feature?

I'm just curious.

One other thing I noticed and maybe it has to do with the SpeedStep/C-States but I tried manually setting in the BIOS 4.5 @ 1.2v and 4.6 @ 1.25v. Both passed preliminary OCCT tests (About an hour) BUT when I used the 4.6 default setting in AI Suite, it put the CPU to 4.6 @ 1.35v and the PC would reboot about 1 min into testing (No BSOD though...strange right? :confused:).

Just some more food for though. I'd love to know if you think this is just a setting somewhere or of it could potentially be the application itself.

Also does the AI Suite override the BIOS settings?

I'll be doing some manual overclocking this weekend so I may have some additional insights into the situation then.

PS - I did the testing of 4.6 @ 1.25 without AI Suite enabled to try and eliminate variables. :cool:
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz