cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6E + 4790K, q-code 00. I love the ROG line but the support is crap.

horia
Level 7
[Product Information]
Product Type : Motherboard
Product Model : MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
Product S/N : ****************
Place of Purchase : amazon co uk
Date of Purchase : 2014/11/26

[Motherboard Specification]
Motherboard Revision : Intel Haswell rev 06, Intel Z87 rev C2
Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1603

[VGA Card Specification]
VGA Card Vendor : MSI R9 290X series on Hawaii GPU
VGA Card Model : MSI R9 290X Gaming OC
VGA Card Chipset : MSI R9 290X series on Hawaii GPU
VGA Card Driver : 9.14.10.01080, Catalyst 14.12

[CPU Specification]
CPU Vendor : Intel
CPU Type : 4790K
CPU Speed : 4.0Ghz

[Memory Specification]
Memory Vendor : Corsair
Memory Model : CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9
Memory Capacity : 16GB(2x8GB)

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : Intel
HDD Model : 730 SSD
HDD Capacity : 480GB

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor : MSI R9 290X series on Hawaii GPU
Add-on Card Type : Video
Add-on Card Model : MSI R9 290X Gaming OC
Operating System : Windows 8.1 64bit

[Problem Description]
Hello,
I initially started with a Core I5 4670K which ran fine as best as I could tell even with a
minor overclock to 4.2Ghz.
After I added the second card I did get some weird blue screens but I thought that was
just the windows/drivers issues so
I reinstalled the windows and that seemed to have fixed it. I am planning to add a 3rd
video card in the very near future.
My PSU is the EVGA P2 Platinum 1200W so it can certainly handle the load and is one
of the 2 to get a perfect score on
johnyguru.com. I decided to upgrade my CPU to the new 4790K and I did so last week.
I updated my bios to the latest 1603 and
installed the CPU. The board recognized it with no problem and then the ram issues
started, or so I thought...
I have to mention that, before I got the memory kit specified in this form, I had 2x8GB
sticks from Corsair that came from
different packages, and that they weren''t on the supported vendor list, so I went and
bought a kit that was/is on that list.
I was hoping that it was just a case of compatibility and that would be put to rest, but
that wasn''t the case.
I keep getting q-code 00 for no particular reason when I boot up but not every time, let
me explain:
If I just switch it on then it could just work and everything would boot up and act fine, or
I would just get the 00 code
and the red led for the cpu would remain stuck. For just one time I did get a 53, this
was with the unsupported memory sticks.
I tried restarting and nothing, however if I press the memOK button it would
go about doing its "checks" and then boot up prompting me to go into the bios saying
boot was successful etc.
If however I just shut it down, and leave it for about 30 seconds, upon turning it back on
it would again work as if nothing happened.
I tried the 1505 bios and I got the same behaviour. I took the computer apart yesterday
and looked for bent pins on the
CPU socket but didn''t see any damage whatsoever. I thought I might have done some
damage to the board by over-tightening
the CPU cooler but I investigated closely and didn''t see anything that would indicate
that, plus I am very careful when it
comes to this sort of things. Right now it all points to the board and I really hope it
doesn''t come to RMA. Please advice
me further. Other components that I didn''t have space on the form to enter are another
256 SSD but from SanDisk and a
2TB 7200Rpm 3.5" HDD from Toshiba. The case is a Corsair 540, the CPU cooler is a
Cooler Master Nepton 240M,
and 6x 120mm JetFlow Fans also from Cooler Master. Maybe noteworthy or maybe not
is that I have all but one USB slots
in use for various devices. I have always preferred ROG boards, my last being a
Rampage III Extreme. Please don''t let my
feelings change. I hope for a swift reply and that we can get to the bottom of this and
solve the problem as
soon as possible.
5 REPLIES 5

horia
Level 7
This is the reply I got.

Dear ****,

That is correct.

Please just make sure absolutely all inputs have their designated cables connected firmly.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Best Regards,

Andy

ASUS Technical Support

http://ro.asus.com/
http://support.asus.com/

We kindly invite you to provide us your positive feedback.

For this investigation to be as relevant as possible please reply to this
email within 5 days.

Please keep the history of your e-mails sent to you by our Support Staff. Otherwise, we won't be able to analyse your case properly.

---------- Original Message ----------
Sent : 3/25/2015 10:53:45 AM
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:Re: Motherboard MAXIMUS VI EXTREME [ID=RWTM20150324041057317-817]

[CASEID=WTM201503251853441102]

By CPU connector you mean the 6-pin left of the board right?

To:****.****@outlook.com
Date:2015-03-25 09:34:30

Dear ****,

My name is Andy and I will try my best to assist you issue.
Please feel free to rate our service according to the solution provided in the
questionnaire that will be sent to you shortly after our reply to your inquiry.

Concerning your message about the MAXIMUS VI Extreme, from the provided pictures
A0 q-code is the one displayed which is a non-error, that actually means everything is
OK and control has been changed to IDE.

Now in the situation that the "00" code appears in the Q-CODE area, then there are a
couple of steps to be taken to ensure that all human errors are out of discussion.

Are you booting with both video cards inserted or is it only single card booting?

If both coupled are they both powered by both 6pin connectors which would mean 4
total connectors, 2 on each individial graphics card.

Was the motherboard tested with only one RAM module installed in the correct slot,
either A1 or B1.

Is the CPU power connector properly inserted?.

After verifying these steps and if all still do not provide you with any change, it will be
required in this situation to contact the retailer for warranty of your component.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with
us.
Best Regards,

Andy

horia
Level 7
So last week I upgraded from a 4670K to a 4790K and started getting weird behavior. I update to the latest bios 1603 before chucking in
the new CPU so I thought I was good to go, but I was wrong. Let me point out that it was my mistake for not having read more carefully
through the forum that I should do a bios update using their Updater Tool provided. Though mostly I know to stay away from solutions
involving bios updates from within the OS. I have managed to fix my problem on my own, by going back 1504 using the Updater Tool
and then using the Updater Tool to update to 1603. I am posting this so that it might help anyone else dealing with this issue, but
mainly to point out the terrible support that I have been provided for having the audacity to buy High End stuff from Asus. I have always loved the ROG
line and will probably continue to buy it even after this episode but still. After I spend half of an hour describing in detail what happened
you can't come back to me and ask me if I plugged in everything. I don't think anybody who buys M6Es every runs into that.
And so I thought great, you're that stupid let me have some fun, but the guy didn't even know the CPU doesn't have 6pin connector
and I meant the 6pin plug that offers extra power to the pciex slots. Anyway, no point in going on and on, the conversation is pasted for you to judge for yourselves.

horia
Level 7
Dear ****,

That is correct.

Please just make sure absolutely all inputs have their designated cables connected firmly.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Best Regards,

Andy

ASUS Technical Support

http://ro.asus.com/
http://support.asus.com/

We kindly invite you to provide us your positive feedback.

For this investigation to be as relevant as possible please reply to this
email within 5 days.

Please keep the history of your e-mails sent to you by our Support Staff. Otherwise, we won't be able to analyse your case properly.

Sent : 3/25/2015 10:53:45 AM
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:Re: Motherboard MAXIMUS VI EXTREME [ID=RWTM20150324041057317-817]

[CASEID=WTM201503251853441102]

By CPU connector you mean the 6-pin left of the board right?
Date:2015-03-25 09:34:30

Dear ****,

My name is Andy and I will try my best to assist you issue.
Please feel free to rate our service according to the solution provided in the
questionnaire that will be sent to you shortly after our reply to your inquiry.

Concerning your message about the MAXIMUS VI Extreme, from the provided pictures
A0 q-code is the one displayed which is a non-error, that actually means everything is
OK and control has been changed to IDE.

Now in the situation that the "00" code appears in the Q-CODE area, then there are a
couple of steps to be taken to ensure that all human errors are out of discussion.

Are you booting with both video cards inserted or is it only single card booting?

If both coupled are they both powered by both 6pin connectors which would mean 4
total connectors, 2 on each individial graphics card.

Was the motherboard tested with only one RAM module installed in the correct slot,
either A1 or B1.

Is the CPU power connector properly inserted?.

After verifying these steps and if all still do not provide you with any change, it will be
required in this situation to contact the retailer for warranty of your component.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with
us.
Best Regards,

Andy

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Take the CPU out of the socket then with the power on, flash the BIOS to 1603 using the flashback port. This should install the Intel Management Version. At least this appears to work with the Hero.

The explanation is that the BIOS file does contain the Intel Management Engine interface, but is configured to not update it when you update the BIOS. Apparently though, if you flash using flashback with no CPU in the socket , it does update the IME.

This isn't from first hand experience but from reports in these forums and recommendations from Asus staff.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Thanks for the reply geneo I managed to install 1504 using the Updater Tool and then upgraded to 1603 and it seems fine right now as if nothing ever happened.
This was more to illustrate the "brilliant" support from Asus.