cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 SSD compatibility type specifics/brand with Maximus VII Formula mobo?

Quixote
Level 7
Hi,

I know that the m.2 ssd for the M7F board is supposed to be an "M" key at size 2260, correct?

But I've read different things about the brand of m.2 (NGFF) ssd 2260 that will properly boot and be compatible with the Maximus VII Formula board. I aware of the size issue, so obviously it needs to be 2260 or smaller, but what brands are the most seemless for this board? I am considering using the m.2 as my OS drive. Because of this, I'm also curious about the bus/interface specifications. The manual for the M7F says that it will accept both SATA and PCIe for the M.2, correct? So, what do I need to look out for regarding the interface when choosing an m.2 ssd?

Does anyone have any success/failure/experience with the M7F to add when using m.2 ssds?

Thanks for any insight.
9 REPLIES 9

Teebsalot
Level 7
I got a sata drive and I'm having trouble getting my motherboard to recognize it. After some research I have come to the conclusion that Asus Mobo m.2 bays are PCIE only and do not work with SATA m.2 drives.

While 2260 was recommended to me definitely fit, I can't imagine you would have any issue with a 2280, which is simply 20mm longer. there seems to be space for it (at least on my MVII Impact)

Teebsalot wrote:
I got a sata drive and I'm having trouble getting my motherboard to recognize it. After some research I have come to the conclusion that Asus Mobo m.2 bays are PCIE only and do not work with SATA m.2 drives.

While 2260 was recommended to me definitely fit, I can't imagine you would have any issue with a 2280, which is simply 20mm longer. there seems to be space for it (at least on my MVII Impact)

HI Teebsalot,

I am not sure about the MVII Impact, but on the MVII Formula, the M.2 slot will take both PCIe and Sata-interface capable m.2 (NGFF) drives (according to the specs).

However, due to the surrounding armor, the size limitation for those m.2 drives is 2260, as you can see in this Linustechtips video (I bookmarked it for that moment in the video): https://youtu.be/gr-Hcri2g4A?t=2m26s

That's why I'm posting to see if anyone has successfully booted from an m.2 (size 2260) SSD drive on a Maximus VII Formula - It's rare that people are actually using that capability on the MVII Formula due to the design limitations (from what I've seen, there are fewer 2260 m.2 drives being made), and due to the fact that not as many people own the MVII Formula in the first place.

Good luck with your SSD woes. I hope it works out on your Impact.

If anyone with a Maximus VII Formula board has actually used the m.2 slot successfully (especially as an operating system drive), I'd really be interested to hear your story and exactly what brand and type of SSD you have if you have a moment to type it out.

Thanks!

jongen
Level 7
you can try sandisk A110, in legacy mode, it is no problem

jongen wrote:
you can try sandisk A110, in legacy mode, it is no problem

Hi Jongen,

Thank you for your reply and advice.

So, you had some trouble getting the A110 to show up at boot?

Do you know of any other brands or models of the m.2 SSD (2260 and less) that don't have this problem when placed in a Maximus VII Formula?

RhysLewis
Level 7
Has anyone got a Crucial MX200 M.2 250GB 2280 SSD (CT250MX200SSD4) working as a boot up device?

Since its a B&M edge key connector , where as the mPCIe combo IV is a B key connector type ..

Crucial do say its a supported device on the IMPACT VII matx board

ASUS have not datasheets stating this thou ?

RhysLewis wrote:
Has anyone got a Crucial MX200 M.2 250GB 2280 SSD (CT250MX200SSD4) working as a boot up device?

Since its a B&M edge key connector , where as the mPCIe combo IV is a B key connector type ..

Crucial do say its a supported device on the IMPACT VII matx board

ASUS have not datasheets stating this thou ?

I'm not sure about other types of boards, but I know that 2280 won't fit on the Maximus VII Formula due to size constrictions imposed by the surrounding armor and other parts. M7F will only accept 2260 and smaller for m.2 SSDs.

I have checked the Crucial website in the past for SSDs that will fit the Maximus VII Formula, and if you type the name of that board into their compatibility checker for the double-sided 2260 size they have available (http://www.crucial.com/csrusa/en/CT250MX200SSD6), it says that it isn't compatible. Perhaps this is because the memory stuck is double-sided and won't fit in the little combo wifi/bluetooth holder? Maybe it's too wide to clip in. I don't know.

Crucial doesn't seem to have any 2260-size SSDs that are not double-sided, so I guess that rules them out for the Maximus VII Formula board, but they do have 2280s which would fit other Asus boards.

Sorry , I totally took over your thread , M.2 slot: supports socket 3, 2260-type (‘M'-keyed) devices seems you are right .

I wonder if the mPCIe Combo IV daughter card would work in your motherboard , I know that supports 2280 cards ,I,m sure the pin outs are the same?

sdmf74
Level 11
I think Asus should offer us MAXIMUS VII FORMULA owners a rebate or some thing for selling a $350 motherboard with a jacked up
M.2 solution. Not to mention a loud POP every time you reboot and no access to the battery without dissasembling your whole system.

The last issue is something we could have taken into consideration when buying but the other two are dealbreakers and should have been fixed.
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

cbs_2000
Level 7
Quixote wrote:
Hi,

I know that the m.2 ssd for the M7F board is supposed to be an "M" key at size 2260, correct?

But I've read different things about the brand of m.2 (NGFF) ssd 2260 that will properly boot and be compatible with the Maximus VII Formula board. I aware of the size issue, so obviously it needs to be 2260 or smaller, but what brands are the most seemless for this board? I am considering using the m.2 as my OS drive. Because of this, I'm also curious about the bus/interface specifications. The manual for the M7F says that it will accept both SATA and PCIe for the M.2, correct? So, what do I need to look out for regarding the interface when choosing an m.2 ssd?

Does anyone have any success/failure/experience with the M7F to add when using m.2 ssds?

Thanks for any insight.[/QUOTE

Hi Quixote,

i have the same issue and i was wondering if you find a solution ?

Im Interest for the samsung 950 pro (2280) with a DIY extension between mPCIE Combo III card and the motherboard.

Or if anybody know a very fast M.2 2260 fit on this MB.

thank you