cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Issue with my asus maximus VII Ranger

IFleeXyZz
Level 7
Hello everyone , I'm new here
i bought a few weeks ago a very nice M.2 SSD , i checked everything and all appeared like it is compatible,
like it's PCIE (the only protocol M.2 SSD supported on this motherboard ) .
But the thing is i pluged it like 3 times but each time my Disk manager or even my BIOS don't see my SSD , i updated BIOS checked what forums tells about that but i didn't find anything that solved the problem .
So as i said i have a Maximus VII ranger as motherboard , and the M.2 is pretty next gen compared to the motherboard , its a Western Digital WD_Black SN850 1TB , so is it normal that my motherboard don't see it? (like it's juste incompatible and i messed up while checking compatibility ) or it is not normal and there is really a problem ?
Cordially,
IFleeXyZz.
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi IFLeeXyZz,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you enabled M.2 PCIe mode in the bios?

It's found on the Advanced tab, Onboard Devices Configuration.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi IFLeeXyZz,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you enabled M.2 PCIe mode in the bios?

It's found on the Advanced tab, Onboard Devices Configuration.

PCIE X4_3 slot is in M.2 mode but i still dont see the SSD ..

Here we can see that nothing appear above SATA in disk configuration .

And Here in EZ mode we only see my olds SATA disk .

Nate152
Thank you for the screenshots, they can be helpful.

It could be your configuration.

It says this for the ROG Maximus VII Ranger.

The PCIe 2.0 x 16 slot (PCIEX4_3) shares bandwidth with PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot. The default setting is Auto Mode, which automatically optimizes the system bandwidth. If you install a PCIe 2.0 x4 device, the system will automatically detect and disable the PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot.

The supported functions depends on the CPU installed.

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you for the screenshots, they can be helpful.

It could be your configuration.

It says this for the ROG Maximus VII Ranger.

The PCIe 2.0 x 16 slot (PCIEX4_3) shares bandwidth with PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot. The default setting is Auto Mode, which automatically optimizes the system bandwidth. If you install a PCIe 2.0 x4 device, the system will automatically detect and disable the PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot.

The supported functions depends on the CPU installed.

Yeah i don't really know about bandwidth and all , but all i can say is that my CPU is a Intel i7 4790k , but maybe the PCIE x4 is take by my RTX 3070 i really don't know , you think it could be due to my CPU or GPU ?

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
Do you have anything installed in the third pcie x16 slot?

If it is the black one slot , i have nothing on it , and my RTX 3070 is on the first one , i really dont know what it could be ...

IFleeXyZz wrote:
If it is the black one slot , i have nothing on it , and my RTX 3070 is on the first one , i really dont know what it could be ...

Ok ok , Good news i can now see my SSD in Bios and also on windows where i had to initialize it so i first disconnected all disk except the SSD and i can barely see it in some option in the bios like boot option and nvme configuration tab , so i decided to connect my SATA SSD (where my windows 10 is located , and it seems like i can see the SSD in windows , now the only thing am asking my self is can i reconnect all other disks or there is an issue with a disk or something so i cant reconnect all of them ?

Cordially,
IFleeXyZz.

IFleeXyZz wrote:
Ok ok , Good news i can now see my SSD in Bios and also on windows where i had to initialize it so i first disconnected all disk except the SSD and i can barely see it in some option in the bios like boot option and nvme configuration tab , so i decided to connect my SATA SSD (where my windows 10 is located , and it seems like i can see the SSD in windows , now the only thing am asking my self is can i reconnect all other disks or there is an issue with a disk or something so i cant reconnect all of them ?

Cordially,
IFleeXyZz.

Please i have save problem also.
My ranger 7 cannot read my SATA m.2 - VGEN
i changer advanced option to change PCI mode 20 m.2 still not cannot use the M.2 sata

Nate152
Being the WD sn850 is a pcie x4 ssd it should work, you just won't get the advertised speeds.

I see you have four drives connected and the WD sn850 would make five?

I might try disconnecting all drives/devices except for your gpu and the WD sn850.

Boot up into the bios, reset to defaults and see if the WD sn850 shows.